Remington model 700 .222 rebarrel option

70sdiver

Ok I have a couple of .222 so I'm thinking of rebarrel in the 700 remmy.it looks like for under 400.00 I could have E.R. Shaw rebarrel this in a 17 Remington .I guess my questions are will the bullets fit the internal magazine? Has any one sent their barreled action in for this service and if so how happy are you? My other option would be a .204 ruger either caliber will work for me but which ever I get on the rebarrel the other caliber is going to be a Cz in either of these 2 calibers.

I've never had ER Shaw do any work on my rifles but I've purchased 3 of their Savage barrels, a 6x47R that I rechamberred to 6mm-204, a 250-3000 Savage and a 222 Rem, all have worked very well for me. Mag length shouldn't be a problem with the longer cases, you need about a 2.40" mag length for the 204 and rem uses the same length action and just uses mag blocks for the different case lengths. If your handy a Remage barrel might be for you, a Rem barrel with a Savage type nut for headspace adjustment.

Other thoughts are rechamberring your 222R barrel to 223AI or 22-204 and running 40gr NBT's or such at 4000 fps equaling the 204 Ruger.

Last edited:
I just got back my barrelled action from ER Shaw a few weeks ago and I am just tickled pink. My CZ 527 .221 Fireball was not shooting as good as it once was and decided to have it rebarrelled to the same caliber. Since I have had such good luck with Shaw barrels I elected to ship the barrelled action to them and let them put one of their barrels on it. After consulting over the phone to one of their guys I ended up with the Contour #3 barrel. Got it 24" and with a 1/14" twist. Less than two hours ago I was at the local range where that sapsucker shot three consecutive 1/4" three shot groups. One was actually a four shot group as I could only see two holes in the target (one had gone in the same hole) and fired another shot. Yes I am pleased.

As far as making a .17 Rem out of yours I dont see why that would be a problem but I have no clue if it would feed through your existing magazine. Why dont you give Shaw a call as ask them what they think? Their number is 412.221.3636 and great to talk to.

I hope that this will help you out.

I have a old rem 722 thats a 222. And i have often thought about putting a new barrel on it. But i cant decide whether to stay with that same caliber or try somthing else. But and this is just my opinion i would not use a er shaw barrel. For one i did not like there attitude when i called them a few years ago. And i know this is just for a hunting rig but i DO want the most accuracy i can get and that aint going to happen with one of their barrels. I will most likley get another Pac-Nor barrel for it when i decide on what caliber i want. Or one of the other barrel companys that is well known for accuracy.But this is just my thoughts!!

Originally Posted By: hunter243sgkI have a old rem 722 thats a 222. And i have often thought about putting a new barrel on it. But i cant decide whether to stay with that same caliber or try somthing else. But and this is just my opinion i would not use a er shaw barrel. For one i did not like there attitude when i called them a few years ago. And i know this is just for a hunting rig but i DO want the most accuracy i can get and that aint going to happen with one of their barrels. I will most likley get another Pac-Nor barrel for it when i decide on what caliber i want. Or one of the other barrel companys that is well known for accuracy.But this is just my thoughts!!

Where do you get "that aint going to happen with one of their barrels"? You're very mis-guided. It's true that you can get a bad barrel from anyone but a Shaw barrel can shoot with any of them, or not, depends on a particular barrel. 3 years ago my buddy's 260 Pac-Nor went back twice before they trashed the barrel for a new one. It now is awesome but came with lots of cussing & frustrations.
JD

Originally Posted By: Texas Swifty
Where do you get "that aint going to happen with one of their barrels"? You're very mis-guided. It's true that you can get a bad barrel from anyone but a Shaw barrel can shoot with any of them, or not, depends on a particular barrel.
JD

So true. I have used Hart, Lilja, Krieger, Criterion and other custom barrels over the years and in my opinion Shaw today makes a barrel that is at least 98% as good as any of the others. I have made my longest kill shots ever with a Shaw barrel. If I ever had a bad one I may not ever buy another but that day has not come yet. I have my doubts that it ever will.

70sdiver, the 223 AI is the only AI that is difficult to get to feed from the stagger stack magazine, so be careful on the smith you choose. For that reason, I would opt for a 22-204 which would have NO problems feeding from a magazine.

The Std 223 with zero freebore in a 12 twist is an awesome case to work with, also. N133 gets the 50's to 3600 in tough brass, 55g to 3500 with Benchmark and N135...24" barrel.

Originally Posted By: Texas SwiftyOriginally Posted By: hunter243sgkI have a old rem 722 thats a 222. And i have often thought about putting a new barrel on it. But i cant decide whether to stay with that same caliber or try somthing else. But and this is just my opinion i would not use a er shaw barrel. For one i did not like there attitude when i called them a few years ago. And i know this is just for a hunting rig but i DO want the most accuracy i can get and that aint going to happen with one of their barrels. I will most likley get another Pac-Nor barrel for it when i decide on what caliber i want. Or one of the other barrel companys that is well known for accuracy.But this is just my thoughts!!

Where do you get "that aint going to happen with one of their barrels"? You're very mis-guided. It's true that you can get a bad barrel from anyone but a Shaw barrel can shoot with any of them, or not, depends on a particular barrel. 3 years ago my buddy's 260 Pac-Nor went back twice before they trashed the barrel for a new one. It now is awesome but came with lots of cussing & frustrations.
JD
I am sure they are good enough to hunt with. And if thats good enough for you then please disregard my post. I have always had a big interest in match shooting and have followed it for years. And i promise you nobody in the top 100 have ever ever used a er shaw barrel. Yes i know this is not a match site but I want the best accuracy i can get for those hard and or long shots. And if you read my post i said i didnt like there attitude. I wanted my RA rebarreled and they acted like i was stupid for even wanting that action done. Well i did it on my own and am very happy with my work and my Pac-Nor barrel. I guess if they had a better attitude i might not trash them like i do!! That being said i do really like the looks of that spiral style of fluting they do.

I have used shaw barrels for over 20 years now some i have put on and they have put on two one 22 250 and a 7 mag. Both shot 3 shot groups you can cover with a dime,used a # 3 in a 6 mm rem 26 inches long shooting a 70 gr nbt you can shoot push pins at a 100 yards till you give out.A buddy and i have used 14 or 15 and so far i cant see spending a bunch of money on a varmint rifle or a good hunting rifle .As for the people it all ways been nice to us.

Back