Colorado elk units 80 & 81 Cherokee TP outfitters

semncaller

A buddy and I are trying to plan and elk hunt for this fall. One of the areas we are looking at is units 80 & 81 (San Juan Wilderness and Rio Grande National Forest). We are looking at using Cherokee TP outfitters for either a base camp or drop camp non guided hunt. Their base camp is located Jasper which is an abandoned mining town west of Monte Vista, CO. I am trying to do as much research on the area and the outfitter as I can before booking. If anyone has any info on either this area or Cherokee TP outfitters I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Overall success # put 1st rifle best,archery was 10%,not to bad. 80 is about 40% private. That may bump the success # and make it appear better hunting.

Thanks for the info spotstalkshoot. I know the success rates aren't very high. I can deal with that. I'm just looking to find an area that's not over run with other hunters where we can at least see some elk. I also can't find much info on the outfitter my buddy found. If anyone has experience with then it would really help.

Last edited:
Do the due diligence. Many so called outfits take advantage of out of stater's, especially when offering public land hunts. Find yourself on the first morning seeing more blaze orange than elk. Not saying they are, but you are correct to do the research. They may be great for all I know.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. I am doing as much research on my end as I can before committing to anything. I plan to start calling the references listed on the outfitters website this weekend.

Back