The End of my 2016/17 Season

Lone Butte

It is with regret that I will be saying good bye to this season. It ends up here on the 31st and I will not get another chance to get out. Knowing this I had the opportunity to make a day of last stands. The weather was not good, windy! So I said I have to do sets regardless. Make one last push . And that I did , we all have our season ups and downs. And this day was no stranger. The only plus was enough snow had melted so it was easier to get into some areas. I ran set after set and nothing was moving . Its late in the season so wasn't sure of which calls to run . So I ran jack rabbit distress . Some one has to be hungry . Well I kept pushing and the weather got worse. Wind and snow sideways . Whiteout conditions. I decide to change into some other area during this whiteout and that's when I noticed an animal disappearing into the timber . Big grey wolf . I parked the truck further down the rd and did a long 1 hr set , I new I had no chance as the wind was headed right to it . But a guy has to try . So packed up and carried on and noticed a trail leading down to an area that looked like a cutblock or opening, this would be my last stand . I made it in there and its a new sweet spot . I ran jack distress and 10 mins later catch movement , yote coming in , funny thing was when he got to the top of a hill he stopped and cowered down ? Afraid? Must have spotted me or scented me , and disappeared . So now to coax him back . I ran female howl and then onto pup distress and 3 mins later he came running fast and hard , until he met 50 grains from my 22-250 . So for a last set I was very pleased . I finished the last stand of season off on a good note and am excited about next year . Lots of lessons learned again this year . I plan to be upgrading a few things for next year. I wish all of you the best of luck . Cheers .

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Back