Swaraski z5 5-25 with ballistic turret vs Nf shv 5-20?

zr600

Ok I'm building a long range varmint hunting rifle mostly for coyotes. It's a 22-243. I have been thinking about the swarazski z5 5-25 with the 2 moa wind hold offs and the turret they offer or the 5-20 nightforce shv with the moar reticle. Is the z5 going to be way better glass then the nightforce or will they be fairly close? Will I be giving anything up with the z5s turret vs the nightforce a turret. I will only look at the shv with the new exposed turret. Any advice would be great.

To my eyes, the z5 is going to be way better glass than the SHV. I was between the z5 and the new (at the time) Zeiss HD5 5-25 and in the end went with Zeiss mainly just because I felt it was comparable glass (to the z5) for less money. Of course the trade-off was that the Zeiss is a good bit heavier than the z5 - but then ANY Nightforce will be as well! If you can afford the z5 I think it would make you a great scope. They have ballistic turrets also, so you might want to check those out. This was another feature I really liked with the Zeiss... locking turrets with very distinguishable clicks that I just wasn't finding on the Leupold VX6's for example.

I tried out the SHV but ended up getting another NXS.

I do like Swarovski but I've always preferred the eye relief and other small aspects of NF.

I have two of the 5-20 NF SHV scopes and the resolution is really good . I have a small weather vane at 600 yards where i shoot steel and i can see it clearly with my two NF scopes and my leupold 6-20x56 does quite well. Leupolds with a 50 mm objective dont seem to do so well.

Originally Posted By: sbrandenTo my eyes, the z5 is going to be way better glass than the SHV.

You aren't going to beat Swaro glass.

Well, I've had the opportunity to view thru a few of Swarovski higher power scopes at range I'm a member. Have viewed thru quite a many more higher power Nightforce scopes at our range. Yep, to my tired old eyes, the Swarovski may has better glass, but difference in two is really insignificant. Other aspects of a scope should be considered and I'd give that portion to a Nightforce.

Back