Dos PrimEro~s...

jf1073

2 firsts for me this morning-

My first coyote using handcalls only. I've had some success using them in conjunction with the EC and called a few in with only handcalls but this was the first resultant death.
Hunting this way adds a few new wrinkles to the game and keeps it new and fresh to me.

The other first was the first with my Howa Ranchland in 22-250. Sighted it in yesterday to minute of coyote and was ready to roll this morning. Not a great final group but 4 clicks down after the first three shots and it was good enough to do the job for this below average shooter.
Dang internet, the instant I saw this coyote camo pattern I knew I was gonna be a little lighter in the pockets....

edited to add
RIP D.M.
whose first words every Monday morning weren't hello but rather "well, how many this weekend James."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: flintrockThat's a nice looking gun. 22-250 is my caliber of choice. Did you call him up close?
surprisingly no......a pair showed up almost directly downwind from me at about 100 yds and I put a plug in one at about 95 yards post haste out of fear of being winded.
I've found the fun and challenging part of using hand calls is that generally when they show up they are looking directly at you as opposed to at an EC. Really forces you to put more thought into where you park your arse.

I had a good caller tell me once to put your ecall where you would sit if you were hand calling. I didn't listen. I always set up as if I were hand calling. I want the best vantage point with adequate cover, open downwind, and an easy path for them to come to me. Hand calling does improve all of your stand skills though.

I have a Howa Ranchland in 22-250 also. It has the Houge stock (Black) I have had it for a year now. It is a shooter, it is light and easy to handle. The trigger impressed me. Right out of the box it was at 2 1/2 pounds. So I didn't have to get a timmey trigger. It shoots 40 grain bullets and up. The heaviest I have shot is 53 grain V-Max. I had it out today on P.D.'s. I was shooting 40 grain Barnes H.P. Wow!!! Rudy

That is pretty nice... I like those DBMs esp if you can get a spare... your gonna have a different calling rifle for everyday of the week, neighbor... good to see gettin em killed;)

Originally Posted By: rudymontanaI have a Howa Ranchland in 22-250 also. It has the Houge stock (Black) I have had it for a year now. It is a shooter, it is light and easy to handle. The trigger impressed me. Right out of the box it was at 2 1/2 pounds. So I didn't have to get a timmey trigger. It shoots 40 grain bullets and up. The heaviest I have shot is 53 grain V-Max. I had it out today on P.D.'s. I was shooting 40 grain Barnes H.P. Wow!!! Rudy

I was using 55 gr vmax's. This is my third 22-250 and try as I might I can't get any of them to shoot better with anything less.
You are right about the trigger, this is the first gun ever that I have "accidentally" fired while sighting in.

Back