Is this a scope problem?

Bigdog2

I've owned a nice DPMS AR-15 for a couple years, and at first had a nice very bright Nikon 1" 3x9 on it. Being a non-dialable scope, I'd use a bit of Kentucky Windage and hold over at 600 yd targets, and as with most of my rifles, I had fair luck consistently hitting the target. Nothing great, no one hole targets, but at least a nice watermelon sized group.

Eventually, my very nice son bought the old man a nice 6x24 Vortex Viper. I forgot at one point where it's zero was, but still went to shoot at 600, and went home not even touching the 6'x6' target once. Since then I went back to 100 yards, concentrated on my shooting and started feeling more confident. I studied up on the scope, ran the ammo (Federal factory 55gr) past my chrony, checked it all in a ballistic program, and shot a trial target at 100 yards where I dialed up the MOA elevation for 300, 500 and 600 yds. Just like it should, the elevations above the 100 yd zero, were right where the ballistic program said they should and would be.

So I went back to 600 yd with my shooting group, dialed it in, and once again couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. The guys in the target pit kept saying I was low, but I started dialing up more elevation. Still short. I started holding way over, still short. No wonder I have white hair.

Before going home, I went to the 100 yd range, dialed down to 100, and it was right on.

The nice guys at Vortex said to reset the torque on the rings. But I haven't had a chance to go back and try it yet. and frankly I have my doubts it will help. Any ideas?

Sounds like your turret is not moving the reticle. I would box it up and send it in. Vortex will take care of you. Unless the rings are way over torqued this should not be the issue.

Originally Posted By: coyotezapperSounds like your turret is not moving the reticle. I would box it up and send it in. Vortex will take care of you. Unless the rings are way over torqued this should not be the issue.

The torque rating for the Viper is only like 18 in/lbs...very thin tubes. I had 3 Vipers in the past...each one of them broke in one way or another...so the last replacement got sold. JME on the matter, but the Vipers were not the scope I wanted/needed.

What Nikon do you have? It may just yet be able to be dialed. http://kentonindustries.com/custom-turrets/nikon-windage-knobs

There's a pretty good article on scopes on the Accurate Shooter forum. It has to do with the adjustment on your scope. Like..is a 1/4 inch click really 1/4 inch. Meaning just because it says the click value is x, it really might not be. Tells you how to make a board to shoot at different yardages to find out what the true values of your scope are. Pretty interesting reading but may not apply to you if your scope is damaged.

Back