Best Trail Cam under$150 for coyotes

jblomqui

Looking to pick up a trail cam to help with with my scouting efforts. Any recommendations? Trying to keep it under $150. Im hunting mostly public land right now so i dont want something super expensive incase it gets stolen.

Cuddyback has one for $149 with a quick trigger speed, decent pictures but one thing I found out is that I could not read the SD cards with my little Cannon digital camera I use to view the pics in the field from all my other cameras. The SD slot is press in but not spring loaded like other cameras. Maybe I am too picky but I will stick with Moultree 880 for the same price. I have a half dozen of the Moultree's and like them. The Cuddy does have faster trigger speed but not being able to read the card in the field is a negative for me.

I have the Moultrie M880 and like it. I was told yesterday by a guy at a gun shop that model has been discontinued. I got mine (new) on Ebay for something around $125.

Pick up a Covert MPE 5. Takes amazing pics, and its 99 bucks, and for the most part if anything happens to it, they will ship you a replacement no questions asked. Theres a lot of the guys who run that company that post on the bowhunting.com forum.

I just bought some 880s which replaced the M80. We have several of M80s but the 880 is very close to the same, in BassPro last week. There is a 990 which is the "black out" version. The 880 has the IR camera and has a soft red glow at night when it takes a picture. I think predators can prolly see the red glow but not sure what their reaction to it is. I have quiet a few night pics where the predators are looking at the camera is why I say that,

Wal mart bushnell or the look alike from tasco, both at about $99
I have the bushnell infra red flash one. Its perfect IMO and my personal use sticking it out all winter down to -25 and summer to the mid 90s without a hiccup, take vids or several modes of single pics.

The 880 does have the red glow as weekender pointed out. I have had some animals (coyote, bobcat and fox) not pay much attention to it while others don't seem to like it and are a bit scared of it. But, that's the case with all the cameras I have used over a period of a few years.

Take a look at the Brownings. They have several under $150. I have the Darkops and Strikeforce. They work great and take outstanding pictures.

Not trying to sell you the M880, just sharing what mine has done. Today I loaded a demonstration video to YouTube.

Below is an example of what my Moultrie M880 does both day and night. The night footage has been muted since the batteries were running low and causing an annoying humming sound. The daytime videos, as you can tell, have the sound on. The Ravens were chastising the coyote.

I set my cameras to video rather than photo. I get a much better idea of what is going on via video, but I check them often and use an 8GB card.

I have been very satisfied with the M880 so far though at times it acts up like every other camera I have had, which includes Cuddeback,
Wildgame Innovations, Bushnell Trophy Cam and Stealth Cam. I have found none to be perfect but the Moultrie comes closer to it than
any I have tried.

Excellent reviews on here;
http://www.trailcampro.com/trailcamerareviews.aspx

Note how far moving objects got into the frame on the trigger speed tests. I am a big fan of the Moultrie and Bushnell cameras but one of my main criteria is that the camera uses AA batteries because that's what my Fox Pro and all other gadgets use and I have car chargers for them. My coyotes do run and flinch at the low glow lights so any new cameras I get are black flash/no glow. The deer just look at it but don't run.
Get good batteries as well
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Combo-Tenergy-TN...=item4cfcf9fb6e

Thanks for all the input. I think I've been sold on the 880. Hopefully I'll have some good pics soon. I've scouted an area with a lot of sigh (tracks) but I've found that the dirt here in S Utah holds a track for a long time. Hoping to figure out when the critters are coming and going. Thanks again for all the input.

I'm curious how you'll utilize the trail cam? On public land. I don't mean theft prevention, but just exactly how you plan to deploy it and how you are going to utilize what you do or don't see with it? Do you plan on night hunting the area? Because that's mostly when they are coming and going and you surely don't need game cam pics to know that.

I guess I'm just not seeing how it could be very helpful? If you know there are coyotes in the area, why not just try calling them. That's going to tell you pretty much everything you need to know. You already know they are around. Now find out if they are callable? If you've already tried that and failed, then you've already answered the most important question - "are there callable coyotes in the area?".

What utility does the camera bring, to help the situation? I've been trying to think of how I could use one, for the public land I hunt and honestly, I can't think of any way to make use of one that would not be more work than I think it could be worth or do more harm than good getting in and disturbing the area multiple times before actually calling?

Scratching my head...

- DAA

Good point DAA.

I just responded pertaining to my thoughts of a good camera. How a guy uses it is another thing. For me, I use it on the family farm and mainly for baiting coyotes. It works great for that purpose, but for public land and scouting, I'm not sure how to employ that idea unless a guy has a relatively safe area to use the camera, and has time to check it often, and maybe for enjoyment of seeing photos / videos of what might be there. For hunting areas where I call, I don't use cameras either. I guess it just all depends on how a guy hunts. I do know that I get a lot of enjoyment out of seeing what is on the farm via the trail cameras.

Yeah, I think I could have a lot of fun with a trail cam. Just really don't see how I could utilize one for my style of public land coyote hunting though.

But I'm open to the idea, if I could be made to understand the utility or method for utilization. Lots of stuff I don't see until it is pointed out or explained to me, then I get it.

- DAA

If you still found than you can try "Browning Strike Force Sub Micro 10MP Game Camera" it will be under $150 and best of trail camera.
Browning-Strike-Force-Sub-Micro-10MP-Game-Camera.jpg

For more information visit blow link
http://www.gamecamerareview.com/

It would seem that the post above by "Titans" is a vendor.... and "If you still found than you can try" does seem like there is a problem with the English language. Oh yea, 2 posts and both have to do with sales of product......

Just me sayin........

Originally Posted By: huntschoolIt would seem that the post above by "Titans" is a vendor.... and "If you still found than you can try" does seem like there is a problem with the English language. Oh yea, 2 posts and both have to do with sales of product......

Just me sayin........

And it's a reply to a 3 year old thread.

Back