Philosophy on Coyote calling "Season"

R. Toker

Just wanted to put a feeler out and get a consensus on what everyone considers their calling "season". Year round? Fall/Winter? Etc. I'm looking at hunting up until around April 1st then giving it a break until fall or if the mood strikes me in late summer. What's the general consensus?

I do most of my calling after deer season. January-March. Come April I switch to turkey/fishing mode. Season officially ended for us on the 15th of March, but in Indiana all you need is permission to hunt and can hunt all year. I would like to try some calling when pups are getting out and about. Always say I'm gonna try it but never do. Hopefully this year that will change.

Open season here, but I do most calling usually starting in September and wrap it up about mid/end of March. I'll take shots of opportunity during spring turkey season though. I go on occasion through the summer during the night.

Open 24/7 365 days here. Couple years ago I switched from winter to all year. Great time to locate new areas. I have found them to be just as challenging as always. Don't find time often with so much going on in nicer weather but do enjoy it being warmer. Bad habit of over dressing sometimes & bugs can be a problem on occasion.

I look at it as management. If we don't help out with population control all other animal species will suffer.

Best time to hunt is when we have the time ! Every day we can is a gift as tomorrow is not promised ! HAPPY HUNTING !!

We, like most states, have an open season year round here in Ohio for coyotes. I just have a hard time reconciling killing them when they are rearing pups. I know they are vermin but just doesn't seem right to me. Maybe I'm getting soft hearted in my old age.

Usually I wait till end of November. Occasionally during corn harvesting I can hit some fields that farmers have reported seeing coyote while combining. I have been able call coyote out of the standing corn that is remaining, even the middle of the day if machinery is shut down. I end usually when females show rubbing.

That's the great thing about this country, everyones entitled to their own opinion. I just don't agree with all of them !

Enjoy your off season and i will do the same
rolleyes.gif

Are season here is year round but I start at the end of August and will stop early April. I'm thinking this might be the last weekend.....maybe.

I spend the rest of my time shooting (lots of practicing) until it starts all over again.

I personally hunt coyotes from September to March. I basically start after it cools off so the bugs leave me alone, and stop when it gets warm enough that bugs start in..

I do on occasion get out here and there during the summer. but, move to fishing and load development shooting practice.

I would just suggest to everyone that when they do take a break, if they do, make sure to pull the batteries from your gear.
I had to get another mojo critter after forgetting and the batteries corroded.
Gear is expensive, but it's more so when you have to buy it twice.

Back