WHAT DO YOU THINK :CALL OR NOT OVER BAIT

donlynch

I'm in a quandary, to call or not when hunting over bait. I've had it work great and then have not had luck at all, I'm interested how others feel about this. what do you guys think?
don

Maybe you should try some "howls" near your bait pile? In theory they might think their food source was being eaten by an outsider. Just an idea, but not backed up by actually having done it successfully.

Pretty good question. I tried hunting over our dead deer pile when season was open. Problem is, they don't visit it that often and the times they did, you couldn't narrow down to a specific time. So I tried calling over the pile and had no luck then either. But that was before my game changing thermal, so they may have been there and I never saw them. I'll try again in October when season opens.

duckstopper, that was my plan, and back in may I had a pic of 4 coyotes on the same bait, and in a week with calling, howls and pup screams I killed 3 of them, it was extremely cool. but the coyotes on the bait now are not cooperating at all. I have pics of 2 and as of this morning they were in daylight. before today they were all in the dark, see what happens tomorrow.
donWGI_0550 by don lynch, on Flickr

Last edited:
DSCN0641 by don lynch, on Flickr
well no calling won out this morning. this guy came through at 0640 and I had my hands all balled up in my mitten gloves, very cold. stayed another 2 hours and 40 mins, it came back, pretty sure it's the same one. it stopped to take a leak at about 170yds and I dropped him. when he went through the 1st time I wished I had my call cause I think lip squeaks would have stopped him, but no call worked.

Last edited:
I like hunting over bait, but have found that not calling works for me. I do spend a lot of time sitting and waiting both morning and evening wind permitting. Usually stay 1.5 at sun rise and 1.5 before sun set some days longer.

Back