A Busy Day Out Of Kotlik, Alaska

Nitroman

A very good friend of mine and his son were out of their home village of Kotlik, on the mouth of the Yukon River, about 50 miles up into the mountains hunting wolves, and caught a nice wolverine too. This was probably a 250 mile day on the snogo's.
Wolves2.jpg

and

Wolverine.jpg

Last edited:
22 wmr and 17 hmr ?? what distances are they shooting these wolfs from? i would think they would have to get really close to knock em down?

haha, well there goes that theory that a 243 is what you need to shoot a wolf.

Most likely trapped, but there are several in that area that use 223 to shoot wolves out at ranges, with open sights, and don't have issues.

But, to be fair, they are focused on the fur, and don't want to do anything to mess up a hide.

Good on you !As to what it takes to put something down ,my friend kills coyotes with a hammer (chases them down on snogo )It is all about how far away from the target you are.

I'm sure they carry the 22 Magnum just to back up the 17 HMR in case there is a bear incident. Right? A lot of blood on that one wolf's hind end from those high powered rifles

In all seriousness, WOW. Nice trapline run right there.

Last edited:
If they were really taken with a.22 then i am guessing that they are running the wolves down with a snowmobile and shooting them up close when they are too exhausted to run any further.

Back