Ranging coyote at night

Look into upgrading to the (Trijicon) IRD MKIII, with the statiametric rangefinder, it helps get you close. I use my Swarovski EL Ranges many times. I know it seems like it may be to dark but it's really not in many instances, the quality of glass allows you to see fairly will with minimal ambient lighting.

My reticle covers 36" at 100 yards. I figure the average coyote is 18"-20" tall so if he's half my reticle he's at 100. 1/4 reticle he's 200. You can do the same with the mildot if you have that option.

I peek through my Leica all the time with using pvs14 . Not that hard to put the aiming-box on objects when there is a little ambient out . And if you got 'scan mode' on your LRF and just point the IR dot on any object and push range . then just look at the readings with non-NV eye .
Also if you put a 720nm filter over your pvs14 the LRF's that are not NV compatible with the Illumination of Aim & Range readouts 'will be' with filter .

Thanks for the advice guys, I will have to see how much height & width my reticle covers at 100 yds. It's on a Nemesis 4x.

Using the reticle with a known size at 100 to compare to coyote size works decent. I find pigs easier to range than coyotes but regardless ranging at night is pretty tough.

I use the Radius by Silencerco. Collimated to the scope, press a button and it reads out in seconds. With night vision you can actually see the ray hitting your target.

I have tons of kills beyond 300yd on yotes at night. I've used everything from a radius to my own homebrew lrf/ir laser set up down to nothing at all but my reticle and here's what I suggest. If you want to shoot yotes beyond the max point blank zone of your rifle you're better off doing it the old school sniper method of predetermined ranges and kill zones if possible. Pre range once you're set up and know the limits they need to be in to hit them with a mpbr hold.

This is the best method I've found after doing this for many years under clip on night vision. Thermal is no different. Another technique that does work but takes experience with your gear is simply knowing a approximate distance by the amount of detail or resolution you can make out on the dog. You can practice this many different ways to get yourself used to it.

If those aren't in your wheel house the radius is the best method device-wise but you may struggle to use it and collimate it to a thermal optic since you cannot see the beam to collimate it on a target

Originally Posted By: R15 PredatorI use the Radius by Silencerco. Collimated to the scope, press a button and it reads out in seconds. With night vision you can actually see the ray hitting your target.

+1! I also use the SWR Radius. Works on moving targets too.

You won't regret it. Day or Night, I love my Radius!
wub.gif

I didn't do it because people were complaining about it on a few reviews and mentioning it become loose on the rail. I passed. Now I see it was only a one day sale.. or ended last night anyway. Dang it.....

Back