6x6.8 CH4D Dies update = 9+ months wait

DiRTY DOG

I ordered a set of 6x6.8 CH4D dies over 6 months ago (September 2016). Initially they said it would be 6-8 months wait. Then they emailed back the same day and said closer to 6 months.

I inquired today and here is the response:
Quote:Yes you are still on the list. They are not made yet. Sorry for the inconvenience. -Denny
So I wrote back and asked for a time estimate. Here is the reply:
Quote:Best guess is they will be ready in June.
Sept-June is over 9 months...

I just sent them a reply to the email they sent me in which they said they would be in production in about 1 month. That was Feb 24th.

Will see what they tell me. Honestly its starting to remind me of a certain ar builder that is no longer a sponsor here!

That's a long time. I was emailing them Friday about some decaping pins and brought the dies up. They said they really were shocked on how it had taken off. Of course they don't deal with the kind if predator hunters like the guys on here with their knowledge base. I told them when I sent the prints to make a ton of them.

Greg

So are these gonna be a better option than the bushing dies? One step sounds good since there are gonna be a few of us building 6x6.8 and I will be the forming guy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223So are these gonna be a better option than the bushing dies? One step sounds good since there are gonna because few of us building 6x6.8 and I will be the forming guy.

They are simply an option. They just save ONE stroke of the press the first time. They are nice but hardly a major benefit. I have one and it helps me gear up for 22X6.8 and 20X6.8. Running it gutted it saves me two steps on the 22 version and smaller.

I prefer the bushings because I can vary neck tension easily based on the brass but with the standard die you get what you get unless you order various sizes of expander buttons.

Greg

Originally Posted By: varminter .223So are these gonna be a better option than the bushing dies? One step sounds good since there are gonna because few of us building 6x6.8 and I will be the forming guy.

Bushings are easy. I just make a bunch of brass at once and then put the 285 bushing away. But I enjoy prepping brass also

So ill give them credit where its due. They are quick to respond to email!

Having said that, I was told they are "scheduled for production next month" now. And should be ready by June.

Would anyone be up for a group buy on a set of rcbs or other brand? I'm planning on calling rcbs tomorrow to see how much a custom set would run.

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorSo ill give them credit where its due. They are quick to respond to email!

Having said that, I was told they are "scheduled for production next month" now. And should be ready by June.

Would anyone be up for a group buy on a set of rcbs or other brand? I'm planning on calling rcbs tomorrow to see how much a custom set would run.

Last I heard they want almost $200.00 for customs. They also kind of like reamer prints. Delivery time is usually nine months or so.

Grrg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: midwestpredatorSo ill give them credit where its due. They are quick to respond to email!

Last I heard they want almost $200.00 for customs. They also kind of like reamer prints. Delivery time is usually nine months or so.

Grrg

Just got off the phone with rcbs. I had to leave a message for the guy who would a actually be making the dies but the rep I talked to didn't expect them to be considered custom. Basically with a simple neck down, they already have tooling to make the die. We will see what happens.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorOriginally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: midwestpredatorSo ill give them credit where its due. They are quick to respond to email!

Grrg

Just got off the phone with rcbs. I had to leave a message for the guy who would a actually be making the dies but the rep I talked to didn't expect them to be considered custom. Basically with a simple neck down, they already have tooling to make the die. We will see what happens.

Check and see if that holds true for a 22X6.8 also.

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorOriginally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: midwestpredatorSo ill give them credit where its due. They are quick to respond to email!

Grrg

That would be great. Maybe they will even get the name right.

Greg

Originally Posted By: HumpnessI figured it was bs when ch4d put his spin on the name. It kind of pissed me off for some reason.

Since I sent them the prints it had my juices flowing too.

Greg

Rcbs finally got back to me today. I missed the call but got a voicemail. Honestly they should have just told me they don't want to make these dies. He wants $250 for the sizer and $250 for the seat die. Or go to a comp 6mm/243 seater for $93.

I may try calling back and talking to him but I am going to move on and see how much Redding or forster would make a set for.

In the past Hornady has been more responsive to making custom dies IME. A buddy had them make a set of 300 Rum Imp dies. They wanted a few pieces of fireformed brass iirc. The first set came and it was all messed up. Basically it sized the brass back to original specs. I told him to send them back and they got it right then. I'm not sure what they would want now or if they would do a run of 20 or so for a decent cost.

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorRcbs finally got back to me today. I missed the call but got a voicemail. Honestly they should have just told me they don't want to make these dies. He wants $250 for the sizer and $250 for the seat die. Or go to a comp 6mm/243 seater for $93.

I may try calling back and talking to him but I am going to move on and see how much Redding or forster would make a set for.

Looks like my little birdie was on the low ball price on RCBS.

Hornady has been doing a lot of custom die sets fro various newer wildcats lately. My understanding is the only way to get a decent price is to start at 50 sets.

Rich and I have been talking this over. Who knows what the future holds for the die world and this cartridge.

Greg

Back