What model Savage do I have???

KyleWoods

Ok so here's the deal. I have an old Western Field model 712 in 222. I've been thinking about restocking it because there's a nice crack in the existing one. I've been researching who made my gun and I've found that Savage made guns for Western Field. A while back I was posting my load development for this gun and a guy had posted a nice write-up of the 340's which he said is what I had. Now that I've done some more reading I've found that it is an 840? Anyone have some info on the Savage 340's and 840's and their difference's? I know some people might say I'm wasting my time on this gun but it was my grandpa's so it has sentimental value. The serial number is 218077 and I can post pics tomorrow if that helps. Thanks in advance

Hmmmm.....good question. I had a co-worker that had a Savage 340 in .222 Rem. He had and old 4X Weaver on it which limited its long range accuracy to a degree. If you had a big enough bull at 100 yards it would group well.

I remember his gun having the scope mount on the side of the receiver. Looked rather Rube Goldberg to me but not sure if that was factory or added (drilled and tapped) later.

Good luck on what it really is. And take that thing out and shoot it. I would.

Don't mind the mess, I also have a Tru Line Jr torn apart that I'm restoring.

And a pic of the crack, it runs from the bolt handle to the front screw

Last edited:
That looks llike it is easily fixed. If not Numrich usually has used stocks for them.

Those are great guns even with their funky triggers and side mount. They are usually very accurate. Here are two three shot groups from mine and it would hold like that out to 300 yards.

Found this,
The Western Field SB712 series of bolt action rifles were manufactured by Savage Arms. They are the equivalent of the Savage model 840. At the time of their manufacture, it was common for arms companies to sell their products with store brand names as large blocks of rifles or shotguns were ordered by Sears, Western Auto, Montgomery Wards, etc.

In 1950, Savage began marketing the Model 340 and 342. The company offered variations of the popular rifle, including the Models 340S and 342S (both introduced in 1950), which featured better wood, cut checkering, a Lyman aperture rear sight, and quick-detach sling swivels. When a .222 Remington chambering was released in 1955, all rifles, regardless of the caliber, were referred to simply as the Model 340.

In 1962, the Model 340C carbine with a 20-inch barrel was offered, but poor sales led to it being dropped after only two years. In the 1970s, rifles chambered for the .223 Remington and .225 Winchester with 24-inch barrels were added to the line. The overall length of the Model 340 with a 22-inch barrel was 43.5 inches. Weight was 7.25 pounds. Magazine capacity was either three or four rounds depending on the chambering.

Savage also sold Model 340 rifles to Montgomery Ward (a.k.a. Wards), which marketed them under its own trade name as the Western Field Model 712.

Thank you guys for the info, so what I gathered from goose's post is that I have a 340 because the 840 was a Western Field SB712.

Another question, when I go to look up a stock on Boyd's they have stocks for both a Savage 340 and 340E, anyone know the difference?

If you look at the pic of the 340E, it shows the action screw measurements. That may help. You can always give them a call.

Man now you done it! I have to have the left handed stock .Just told the wife I need a new Cz ,still trying to decided on a 17 Remington or the .204 ruger and you up and throw the Boyd's word out there.My .222 is under. 1/2 moa shooter that I picked up 20 years ago at a pawn shop that was going out of business he had one gun and one drill left lol ,ask me for a hundred dollars which I didn't have he said what do you have I looked in the wallet and had 40 dollars he said sold! Absolute best deal I ever made!

if it were my grandpa's I would fix the stock no matter what model it is.i have a 22 with a cracked stock that was my grandpa's that I taught both son's how to shoot and handle firearm's with. to much value just knowing he touched it and my father also.

Originally Posted By: lyotehunterif it were my grandpa's I would fix the stock no matter what model it is.i have a 22 with a cracked stock that was my grandpa's that I taught both son's how to shoot and handle firearm's with. to much value just knowing he touched it and my father also.

Funny you said that, I've also got an old Winchester 22 single shot torn apart that I plan on re bluing with Duracoat. That's the gun I learned to shoot with and will be the one I use to teach my kids someday.

Back