Leupold new LRP

10ring1

Just wondering if anyone has or has looked at the new Leupold 3i LRP (long range precision) scope with first and second focal plane options. I was shocked to see the FFP was around 1000. Can't wait to see how everyone likes them.

I cant abide by the ridiculous turrets, and the sad magnification ranges. While I am a Leupold fan, this is typical of them..Always the cutting edge of ten years ago.

Last edited:
The LRP is the laughing stock on Sniper's Hide. All they basically did was rebrand their Mark 4 line and put a stupidly huge elevation turret on it. Not saying it isn't a good scope, but it's definitely not up to par with other tactical scopes in that price range. For the price, the Mark AR is great and obviously the Mark 6/8 are top notch...I just don't get why their middle optics line is always lacking.

Originally Posted By: 10ring1Personally I would buy a Leupold before I would buy anyour other but that's just me

And thats exactly how they continue to sell crap like this. They have no real incentive to develop new and relevant products when their core customer base is so blindly loyal.

It is all well and good if you'd like to stay loyal to Leupold, however the product mentioned in the OP is a clear swing and a miss. If you can not tell why, it would likely be difficult to explain the reasons. They make other products that make much more sense and are configured much better.

I have seen these scopes up close and the turrets are no bigger than any of the other LR / Tactical turrets on the market and in some cases even smaller than some. Turret twisters for the most part like a bigger turret and this was a common complaint of the M1 turrets. Time will tell if its a hit or a miss. From how they are marketing these it seems they are targeting the LR hunter and I would bet that this is driven by what their custom shop sees in scope upgrade work. These IMO are not rebranded MK4's but upgraded VX3's.

This is no different than the NF SHV scopes. Why did they need a whole new line if the NXS models were so great?? Its because the NXS is first and foremost a tank like tactical scope that some started using for hunting and for a lot of people way to much of a good thing. Weight and cost left a hole in their product line and as all good companies do they listened to what their customer wanted and developed the SHV line, lighter and cheaper but still excellent quality. To compare the two is apples and oranges. They were designed for different applications.

Scopes need to be evaluated / judged for what they were designed to do and not what the average joe blow thinks they should be.

Last edited:
The trend for "tactical" scopes is most definitely not larger turrets. Larger diameter, perhaps...but lower profile. Like most everything else Leupold makes, this is yet another example of what they think the market might have wanted ten years ago...

The ONLY detail in which this scope is relevant is the fact they are finally offering a somewhat affordable first focal plane scope. Other than that....its a joke.

CZ this new LRP scope looks interesting to me for my first turret scope. The reason being that I have to use reading glasses to see anything up close anymore, and thought I might be able to see these because of their size. I will rangefind my targets, do you think SFP would work okay at high power.

Originally Posted By: McGrawCZ this new LRP scope looks interesting to me for my first turret scope. The reason being that I have to use reading glasses to see anything up close anymore, and thought I might be able to see these because of their size. I will rangefind my targets, do you think SFP would work okay at high power.

Leupold rep told me these turrets were designed this way for two reasons. The first was the extended height of the turret makes it to where you do not have to move your head to see the dial when behind the scope - beneficial in target / comps. The second reason which coincides with number one was to make them easier to read. He also emphasized that these are not tactical scopes even though they could be used that way. These were designed as LR competition and hunting scopes. These scopes are only going to appeal to a small segment of the shooting community.

For those that think this is old re-hashed technology I would challenge you to show me a scope that had all of the options that this scope has 10 years ago. Ten years ago generic mil based reticles were the only reticle around and they were only available in a few scopes. Real good repeatable turrets were also rare.

I think I understand the negative comments about these scopes because at first glance it does appear this is nothing new especially when this same scope could be built through the custom shop already. Like I said above this is a niche scope and needs to be judged as such.

As somewhat of a Leupold fan...the Leupold cult amuses me.

There are heaping handfuls of scopes on the market that serve this supposed "niche." Each an every one of them is either better, cheaper, or both...

They loose me at 5 Mil per rev. The ergonomics aside, I can't see what this scope gives one over other cleaner, more thought out configurations.

And I love my Leupolds.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadAs somewhat of a Leupold fan...the Leupold cult amuses me.

There are heaping handfuls of scopes on the market that serve this supposed "niche." Each an every one of them is either better, cheaper, or both...

So when your left not being able to make any fact based comments you resort to attacking those that do? I own many different brands of scopes and I evaluate each one individually upon its strengths and weaknesses and how it would apply to my different uses. So you see I am not part of any cult but if it makes you feel better about yourself saying this nonsense, go right ahead. It would be nice to have a discussion about what people like and don't like without someone feeling threatened or butt hurt if someone doesn't agree.

Now, back to scope talk. I have not paid attention to a lot of the newer scopes out this year, in fact I didn't really start looking at the LRP closely until this thread. I'm not sure what handful of scopes you would be referring to in tis class so if you would please name them. The new PST looks good but it is marketed as an entry level tactical scope and I wouldn't call that a apple to apple comparison. I am hoping the new PST's have better turrets. I have 3 HS-LR and 1 HS-T and I have burned out the turrets on two of the LR scopes and had to have the internals replaced. These are the only turrets from any manufacturer that have worn out. My Razor gets more twisting than any other scope and it still tracks 100%.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760They loose me at 5 Mil per rev. The ergonomics aside, I can't see what this scope gives one over other cleaner, more thought out configurations.

And I love my Leupolds.

What part of the 5 mil do you not like? More elevation per turn maybe?

Originally Posted By: coyotezapperOriginally Posted By: liliysdadAs somewhat of a Leupold fan...the Leupold cult amuses me.

So when your left not being able to make any fact based comments you resort to attacking those that do? I own many different brands of scopes and I evaluate each one individually upon its strengths and weaknesses and how it would apply to my different uses. So you see I am not part of any cult but if it makes you feel better about yourself saying this nonsense, go right ahead. It would be nice to have a discussion about what people like and don't like without someone feeling threatened or butt hurt if someone doesn't agree.

Now, back to scope talk. I have not paid attention to a lot of the newer scopes out this year, in fact I didn't really start looking at the LRP closely until this thread. I'm not sure what handful of scopes you would be referring to in tis class so if you would please name them. The new PST looks good but it is marketed as an entry level tactical scope and I wouldn't call that a apple to apple comparison. I am hoping the new PST's have better turrets. I have 3 HS-LR and 1 HS-T and I have burned out the turrets on two of the LR scopes and had to have the internals replaced. These are the only turrets from any manufacturer that have worn out. My Razor gets more twisting than any other scope and it still tracks 100%.

The Bushnell LRHS, the Burris Veracity, and the Nightforce SHV are all marketed as LR range hunting scopes. These scopes have been on the market for quite some time...and if that is, in fact, the market that Leupold is attempting to cater to, they have been out done coming out of the gate in just about every facet.

Originally Posted By: coyotezapperOriginally Posted By: pahntr760They loose me at 5 Mil per rev. The ergonomics aside, I can't see what this scope gives one over other cleaner, more thought out configurations.

And I love my Leupolds.

5mil turrets are a pain, and luckily, are going the way of the dinosaur. The SHV is saddled with such a crutch....but to introduce a scope with such at this point is silliness.

I enjoy reading facts and experiences with scopes, not the negatives that someone who, has a hard on with Leupold. Oh BTW I am also a huge Leupold fan so comment away. (Opinions are like belly holes, everyone has one.)

Originally Posted By: liliysdadOriginally Posted By: coyotezapperOriginally Posted By: pahntr760They loose me at 5 Mil per rev. The ergonomics aside, I can't see what this scope gives one over other cleaner, more thought out configurations.

And I love my Leupolds.

5mil turrets are a pain, and luckily, are going the way of the dinosaur. The SHV is saddled with such a crutch....but to introduce a scope with such at this point is silliness.

Made a few quick notes on scopes you consider in the same class for comparison.

Bushnell 4.5-18x44 LRHS
26.5 oz.
FFP
10 mil or 22 moa elevation per rev
2 reticles
$1450 retail
I owned a 3-12x44 LRHS with G2 reticle when they were first available from GAP Rifles in 2014. Great scope - they hit a home run with this scope. Only complaint I had was eyebox was narrow and in a high stress situation this could be problem for target acquisition. Also, a little heavy.

NF 5-20x56 SHV
30 oz.
SFP
10 MOA per rev ( less than 5 mil )
2 reticles
$1200 retail
I have not tried one of these SHV's but I have owned NXS's and I would expect the quality to be superb. Reticles look good. NF has really improved their reticles. The only downside I see is the weight. A hunting scope that weighs the same as their tactical / NXS line of scopes.A hunting scope does not need a tube this thick and heavy IMO.

Burris 5-20x56 Verracity
28.2 oz.
FFP
15 MOA per rev ( less than 5 mil )
2 reticles
$899 retail
I have not used this exact model but I have spent the day behind the 3-15 version mounted on a Anschutz 17HMR. The glass was good but the scope and reticle was to big and bulky for a rimfire. I am sure this scope would be much better on a hunting or target type rifle. As I said above reticle would be better if finer lined. Scope did track very well.

Leupold VX3i LRP 6.5-20x50
21.7 oz.
FFP or SFP
5 mil or 15 MOA ( not sure on the moa per rev, going by memory )
2 reticles MOA, 1 reticle Mil
$999 retail
I have seen this model up close but have never used it mounted on a rifle but have enough experience with the VX3 6.5-20 models that I am sure what I would be getting. The options listed above are only what is shown on their website. There are many other reticle options plus turret options available through the custom shop as an upgrade.

As you can see only the LRHS has 10 Mil per rev adjustments. I think if Leupold had done a 10 Mil elevation turret they would have had to either design a new turret or use their MK6 / MK8 turrets which would have added a lot of cost to the end user. I have never had an issue with only having 15 MOA per rev on a hunting rifle. That being said, on my 308 comp gun I waited until Vortex offered the Gen 1 Razor with 10 Mil per rev turrets before I bought one. The first few years it was only offered in 5 Mil.

If anyone has any experience with any of these scopes please chime in. I would like to hear your opinions.

Back