Winchester M70 "HEAVY VARMINT" Help???

BCD 45

Looking at buying a Winchester M70 Heavy Varmint Fluted in .243. The stock I think is a HS Precision with a blued/black receiver & a 26" stainless fluted barrel. I can find very little about this gun except that it was made in the mid '90's. I can't find the twist rate anywhere or much of anything about it. Does anyone know anything about this particular model? On the barrel it just says HEAVY VARMINT. Thanks for any information you might give me.
Jim D

Very good rifles and the stocks are HS Precision. If you do a search on google you can find out some specs on the rifle. I'd love to have one 243! It would make a nice big brother to the one I have in 222!

Probably a sweet rifle, I have one from the 2000 era in .308. It's a heavy rifle but darn can it shoot. Didn't know they offered a fluted barrel though.

Originally Posted By: joedProbably a sweet rifle, I have one from the 2000 era in .308. It's a heavy rifle but darn can it shoot. Didn't know they offered a fluted barrel though.

I have owned three - two in 308, and my current one, in .223 - the stainless steel Wilson barrels are not fluted.

Twist on the 308s is 10", and 9" on the 223.

They are outstanding rifles.

I had one in 22-250. Very good shooter. I sold it and bought 2 700 adl's to tinker with. I wish I still had it though.
My barrel was not fluted either. Never seen a fluted one?
Mark

I'm surprised by the fluted barrel as I never knew Winchester offered any rifle with a fluted barrel. Mine has a B&C stock on it and I would imagine a Winchester barrel. I bought it when it was announced they were closing the New Haven plant ending production of model 70s.

It's easily the best shooting rifle I own. All I've done to it is add a 36x scope and lighten the trigger. It is the only rifle I've owned that I can not see a difference between the first shot and any others.

My 700 VS in .25-06 with Krieger barrel will shoot right with it though but it has had work done to it.

Got several fluted on gun broker right now under rifles>bolt action> then type in WINCHESTER VARMINT. I'm debating on the fluted 243 for $800 with the scratch on the stock. The fluted HEAVY VARMINT 22-250 on there looks new & the guy told me condition is 98%.
Jim D

Jay, did you look at them on GB? At GB you can type in the auction # & it will take you there. 243 is #630357895 & 22-250 is #631411154. I'm thinking about the 243 but I wish I knew who made the barrel. What's your opinion on these?
Jim D

I saw the 243 with the fluted barrel. I personally never saw one that was fluted but that don't mean they didn't make one. It looks legit and appears to have the factory barrel since it has all the Winchester stamping on the barrel. It does appear to be very good condition. They are very nice rifles and most of the guys that have them seem to love the way they shoot. I know I do.

Yes they did 220 Swift. There was a non fluted HEAVY VARMINT Swift that sold on GB about 4 days ago. I almost bought it. HS PRECISION stock & was listed as condition 99%+. Sold for $995. Not sure but I think the typical 1-14 twist. That 250 on GB is really nice. If I didn't have my Cooper M54 Phoenix in 250, I'd buy that one. But, I'm a huge Swift guy & have 5 Swift's.
Jim D

Swifty, good for you! Can't wait to hear how it shoots. They are really nice rifles. Man, you have me looking at that 22-250. That is clean!!!!

I know this isn't really comparing apples to apples since mine is a 222 but this will show you that these rifles can shoot. Not bad for a bone stock factory rifle.

Last edited:
Jay, man that's shooting. Congrats on such a fine shooter & rifle. What bullet & powder do you use in the 222? Yes, that 22-250 is nice when I emailed him he said it had been shot less than 250 rounds.
Jim D

My 222 load is 24gr of N133 with a 50gr vmax. The 52gr Berger shoots just as good or maybe better. The 50gr vmax clocks around 3400fps which is fast for a 222.

Well, got in the gun buying mood this week. I bought a Win. Heavy Varmint 243 with a fluted barrel in excellent condition. Then, I found another Winchester Heavy Varmint with a 26" non fluted barrel in 220 Swift, 70 rounds shot & with the like new matching box, so I bought it also. Hope to hel a triple deuce don't show up this weekend. HA! Really I do.
Jim D

Back