Shortest shot to date...

Zcustom

This year has been a real transition for me, not sure if I am just putting in more time or finally starting to figure it out. Anyway, put one down early Friday morning, winds were calm but they started to pick up. There was a significant amount of snowmobile traffic and the wind started gusting, so I headed for the thick stuff. I put on the snowshoes, grabbed my versamax and climbed down into a thick blow-down area off a clearcut maybe 3/4 mile off the trail. The call and decoy were only 10yds in front of me, I caught a flash of movement, dropped the remote and swung up on the coyote, rolled her with the second shot through the pucker brush. The coyote made it 4 feet from my decoy and was 20 from me on the first shot. Quite a rush for sure.

Last edited:
Nice job! It get close quarters in the thick stuff sometimes, but you can make it work occasionally. I posted on here last year, Feb 2016, about killing one so close I had to pull in the little Browning A Bolt 222 to make sure I didn't touch the coyote with the muzzle. He stopped directly on my left side, basically arm's reach away. That was really thick stuff and he came charging in [beeep] bent to die. I mounted that one as a memory.

I live in the lakes region, scoot around on snowmachine quite a bit locally. I have been going up to Errol, have a buddy up there that I rabbit hunt with, found decent areas and followed up with a few trips to chase coyotes.

Back