Thermo comparison

Kwaz

Found this on another thread. Scratching my head now after putting a deposit on the trail xp50 after looking at the data showing it compared to the apex75. What is the wt1 75-3? Can't find these for sale..

phoenix wrote:
Agreed, system resolution is the best objective measure of thermal riflescope or spotter detection capability
It's easy to calculate:
Simply divide the pixel pitch in microns by the focal length of the objective lens in mm
The answer you get is in millirads (mrad) the same as the turret adjustments on a lot of tactical scopes.
The lower the number, the higher the resolution (i.e the smaller the object that can been seen)
A few examples
25 micron core with 50mm lens e.g. Pulsar Apex XD50 = 0.5mrad
25 micron core with 75mm lens e.g. Pulsar Apex XD75 = 0.33mrad
17 micron core with 50mm lens e.g. Pulsar Trail XP50/Pulsar XQ50/Pulsar Helion XQ50F, WT1-50-3 = 0.34mrad
17 micron core with 75mm lens e.g WT1-75-3,or WT1-75-6 = 0.22mrad
12 micron core with 60mm lens e.g. IR defense IR Hunter MkII = 0.20 mrad

So, virtually no difference between the old Apex XD75 and the new Trail/Helion Pulsars
and virtually no difference between the Ward 7-3/75-6 and the much vaunted IR Defense IR Hunter
A 12 micron sensor with a 75mm lens would be the dogs bo****ks
I was reading some research papers on thermal cores and it seem that the lower practical limit for pixel size will be somewhere between 5 and 10 microns - and probably closer to 10 than 5

I don't really think that tells the whole story cause you can have a 384x288 17 micron but can also have a 640x512 17 micron in the same lens size, like the new pulsar line.

But there is some truth because the lower the pitch on the sensor, 12 vs 17 micron for example, the more efficiently the system uses that lens. It has way more to do with magnification than resolution.

For example, thats why a Trijicon Reap-IR (35mm 12 micron BAE core) and an Armasight Zeus Pro 640 (50mm 17 micron Flir Tau 2 core) both have a 2.5x native magnification.

I've personally compared the two side by side (Trail XP50 and Apex XD75) and there's no comparison. The Trail is hands down the best resolution and therefore, best detection between the two. It's an obvious difference. You will not be dissappointed!

There's way to many variables being left to compare the above units listed in that fashion. Pixel count, pitch, oled vs lcd, gasir vs germanium,etc. The trail/helion looks much better than the xd75.

Back