Coyote hunting at night with lights

bigz1983

Hey everyone I just joined the Predator master forums. I'm a beginner coyote hunter and I just got into coyote hunting at night.

I was wondering when I'm out in a open area like a field do leave my lights on all the time and scan for coyotes? Do I only turn my lights on intermittently when scanning for coyotes?

I recommend that you Keep your light on all the time.
#1. Coyotes can come in, and leave, very fast. If you are not constantly scanning you can very easily miss them.
#2. You will hear some guys use the term "conditioning them to the light". I think that is true. If a coyote sees the light right from the start and he is not bothered by it he might come on in. But it is very likely that you will spook a coyote if you hit him with a light all of the sudden.

I think that is true for foxes too, but not as much for a bobcat.

Agree with the consensus here. Run the light all the time. With a good wide flooded beam you will sometimes catch movement out in the halo of the light even when the animal is not looking directly at you. Don't get zoned in only looking at the brightest spot of the light, you will see a lot with the halo as well.

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvOriginally Posted By: pmackI always keep scan light on. Everyone makes little mistakes from time to time.

That the best you got.
tt2.gif
tt2.gif

Seems pretty foolish when all the other posts agree with it. Even one of your "Pradator Tactics" Pro staffers agrees.

I've seen your posts, reading comprehension isn't one of your stronger points.

Last edited:
My scan light stays on from the time I get out of the truck until I return. I kill several each year while walking in and out of my stands. I sit in the open and try to make sure I am not near any brush or trees that my light beam can reflect off of while scanning. Once you see eyes keep the scan light on them as they approach, this conditions the coyote to the dimmer defused scan light. The scan light also acts as your concealment. Once the coyote is in range transition over to your shooting light I.D. and make the shot.

Originally Posted By: pmackOriginally Posted By: DropadoglvOriginally Posted By: pmackI always keep scan light on. Everyone makes little mistakes from time to time.

That the best you got.
tt2.gif
tt2.gif

Seems pretty foolish when all the other posts agree with it. Even one of your "Pradator Tactics" Pro staffers agrees.

lol...he's new! I'm not! I see you trolling around here picking arguments! Yet I've never seen any of your kills? Wonder why? I'm not sitting in my mamas basement! I'm out killing!!!

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvOriginally Posted By: pmackOriginally Posted By: DropadoglvOriginally Posted By: pmackI always keep scan light on. Everyone makes little mistakes from time to time.

That the best you got.
tt2.gif
tt2.gif

lol...he's new! I'm not! I see you trolling around here picking arguments! Yet I've never seen any of your kills? Wonder why? I'm not sitting in my mamas basement! I'm out killing!!!

What does new have to do with it. Guy asked about using lights I told him how I use them and the next 6 guys other than you agree with me yet you attack me.

I told him nothing wrong, just how I do it, if you do it another way maybe you should have responded to the post with your method.

As far as kills I have a few, if you weren't so simple you'd know how to find them.

Seems like you have an issue with me. I don't have an issue with you, I do have an issue with anyone who spews wrong information. Here's the thread where your panties got in a bunch because you didn't like to be questioned.(note the term questioned you weren't attacked) If you want to continue the fight lets go but please answer the questions I asked in that thread and leave this thread alone.

I also bumped it up to the top to save you some confusion in finding it.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...0324&page=1

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvNot sure why you are attempting me into a debate over a simple light. We did our comparisons...and results are results....if you read my replies, you would know this. But I do thank you for being interested in our product. Thank you for your complete and positive input. Truly appreciate it. Regards, Drop

Originally Posted By: pmackIf I posted in the reloading section I stuffed a 6mm bullet in a .17 case and loaded it with more powder than a case could hold some one would question me.

You claimed the light was brighter, battery life was twice a competitors and adding a halo shield makes it brighter, I know that's not possible.

In sales you can lie by omission and no one is the wiser, but when you state untrue, exaggerated or impossible facts about a product be prepared to be questioned.

What is "clearer" I keep seeing lighter brighter clearer or is it cleaner like in the other guys post either way what makes that beam clearer or cleaner?

Originally Posted By: Coach512Brighter, cleaner beam, lighter, smaller, and still throws out further

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pmackOriginally Posted By: DropadoglvOriginally Posted By: pmackOriginally Posted By: DropadoglvOriginally Posted By: pmackI always keep scan light on. Everyone makes little mistakes from time to time.

That the best you got.
tt2.gif
tt2.gif

What does new have to do with it. Guy asked about using lights I told him how I use them and the next 6 guys other than you agree with me yet you attack me.

I told him nothing wrong, just how I do it, if you do it another way maybe you should have responded to the post with your method.

As far as kills I have a few, if you weren't so simple you'd know how to find them.

Seems like you have an issue with me. I don't have an issue with you, I do have an issue with anyone who spews wrong information. Here's the thread where your panties got in a bunch because you didn't like to be questioned.(note the term questioned you weren't attacked) If you want to continue the fight lets go but please answer the questions I asked in that thread and leave this thread alone.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...0324&page=1

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvNot sure why you are attempting me into a debate over a simple light. We did our comparisons...and results are results....if you read my replies, you would know this. But I do thank you for being interested in our product. Thank you for your complete and positive input. Truly appreciate it. Regards, Drop

Originally Posted By: pmackIf I posted in the reloading section I stuffed a 6mm bullet in a .17 case and loaded it with more powder than a case could hold some one would question me.

You claimed the light was brighter, battery life was twice a competitors and adding a halo shield makes it brighter, I know that's not possible.

In sales you can lie by omission and no one is the wiser, but when you state untrue, exaggerated or impossible facts about a product be prepared to be questioned.

What is "clearer" I keep seeing lighter brighter clearer or is it cleaner like in the other guys post either way what makes that beam clearer or cleaner?

Originally Posted By: Coach512Brighter, cleaner beam, lighter, smaller, and still throws out further

agree to disagree! Actions speak louder than words. Anyone can easily plagiarize someone else's quotes. I'm done! I'm not into small minded people! FYI, think and do outside the box! Might help with only a few!

Originally Posted By: Dropadoglv agree to disagree! Actions speak louder than words. Anyone can easily plagiarize someone else's quotes. I'm done! I'm not into small minded people! FYI, think and do outside the box! Might help with only a few!

Drop......

What were we arguing or discussing where we need to "agree or disagree"?

What actions are you talking about?

To plagiarize you take someones words and use them as your own. To quote some one acknowledges their ownership and the liability of plagiarism ceases to exist.

That whole response makes no sense, but I have to consider the source, I know you're trying your best.

So in your rant you've stated I've given bad advice, (although everyone agrees with me) accused me of being a non hunting basement troll looking for arguments. And now I'm small minded and can't think outside the box.

Have you anything to substantiate your claims?

You or I now have Wisehunt worried about posting here.

If you had some facts you wouldn't look like a such a fool.

For anyone reading I'll let you form your own opinions but here's mine.....

(stole it off a banner on here, John Wayne quote)

"Life is hard, it's even harder if your stupid"

Last edited:
Gentlemen, let's move on.

Use what works for you and allow others to do the same. There's plenty of things in life worth fighting for. This ain't one them.

To the OP, please don't go anywhere else. This forum is full of useful info. We just tend to be very passionate from time to time. I like to keep my light on as much as possible and pointed down range. Not at the ground to see where I'm stepping and not at my hunting partner but downrange where I expect an animal to show. It temporarily blinds the animal so they don't spook as easily. I find I get them closer if the light doesn't wiggle or shake and stays on them the entire time. That's my mileage anyway. Others may differ.

Back