Anyone with a 6.8spc pistol??

Varminterror

Thinking about adding another AR pistol, likely aimed at hunting, but mostly plinking/targets. Building a couple 300blk uppers for some buddies currently, and it has me itching.

Instead of the painfully unimpressive 300, which capitalizes well on a 10.5" barrel, I'm thinking about a 6.8spc. I already have 6.8 uppers, so it wouldn't be a new batch of brass.

200-300yrds on coyotes and steel. I expect to have a little trouble finding a faster twist barrel, but I haven't yet done the math on a 1:11" for the 120's I typically shoot.

Anyone have one? Seen one? Pro's and con's? Good, bad, and ugly?

BIson Armory

Bison sells a 1/7 twist barrel, MDWS used to, but they don't show on the website anymore.

I've got an 8.2" MDWS 6.8spc barrel but it's a 1/11 twist. A friend gave it to me but It's never been used yet.

I've been thinking about a pistol just like this also. Legally I can't keep a rifle uncased in a vehicle, even with a carry permit and I can deer hunt in shotgun zones with a pistol.

And what exactly are the laws on barrel length? Could a get a 14.5" barrel and add a muzzle break that would put it past 16", but as long as it's not pinned in place that's fine?

You can have a shorter than 16" bbl too, but it can't have a stock, or a buffer tube that will accept a stock. Sig Arm brace solves that obstacle.

I found this on youtube, not the most well put together video but it has some good info about terminal ballistics and FPS of 300BO, 7.62x39 and 6.8SPC pistols in a 8.5" barrel.

Lots of guys get confused by the fact a rifle is defined as over 26" long and over 16" barrel, but the reverse does not apply to the definition of a handgun. As I have been explained it by the ATF, a handgun CAN BE shorter than 26 and less than 16" barrel, but it doesn't have to be. It just has to be designed to be fired with one hand - i.e. No butt stock, or accommodation therefore. A short barreled rifle is a regulated item, but a long barreled pistol is not.

I keep thinking about an AR chambered in 460 Rowland also. I would probably end up with a rifle caliber but a 460 Rowland has got to have some good numbers coming out of a 10" barrel.

I've got a 1911 with 460 conversion and I'm supposed to be getting around 1350fps with 230gr bullets, and the conversion barrel with the threaded extension for compensator makes it about 5.5". According to the video I posted above they were getting just over 1900fps with a 90gr 6.8 projectile. With a 10-12" barrel I think you would be able to get a 230gr .45 bullet to at least 1600, especially with my warm handloads, and I imagine maybe over 2000fps with a 185gr .45 bullet.

The 45 wouldn't have the same ballistics coefficient as a rifle bullet but at 100 yards and maybe a little further a long barreled 460 Rowland would be a hard hitter, and I imagine considering it's relatively tame shooting in a compensated 1911 would be dang nice to shoot from an AR.

I'm running a 11.3" barreled 6.8 sbr and getting 2700 fps with a 90gr bullet.
20160425_191104_zpsjrns50ul.jpg

Last edited:
Back