Another season starts

Originally Posted By: lockrotorDoes your wife ever warm up, or am I'm talking about mine.
Actually she used to shoot a fair bit (plus hunt) All is good, as she was with me when I ordered it
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Displayed NameHaha yep we'll keep on the look. Craig Douglas in Saskatoon has my reamer and I'll still have lots of bullets when and if you do it. I heard Todd kindler sold his bullet making equipment and I'm not sure when they'll be up and going again. I have enough now for probably 10 years of coyote hunting. I actually traded/sold those 1000 25gr wildcat bullets a month ago towards a supply of Wipe Out foaming barrel cleaner.
I hope the outfit that bought out Todd, last longer than the outfit that bought Wildcat
frown.gif

You should have enough "Wipe Out" to last you a day or two. A can last me quite awhile, lol

Last edited:
I was fed up cleaning the factory .17 barrel for an hour to two hours every 30 to 40 shots. Wipe out takes a bit of the heavy lifting away. I got enough wipe out for a very long time now. After a couple hundred shots I have no measureable throat erosion shooting 3950 to 4000fps. I was holding the wildcat bullets I got from you for a smaller .17 but seemed to far in the future so traded them.

I've got a hunting friend down south of you that went from 17-204 to 17BR but I think he had a fluke gun. Seems happy with the BR but seems like more hastle to me. Another friend east of you shoots 100+ a year with a 17-222mag variant. I haven't had much hunting last few years but from the coyotes I've shot it hammers them and good on poor angle shots too.

Sorry for the thread drift. Haha. Keep hammering them.

With it being cold all last week and continuing into this weekend, I decided to get one more weekend of hunting in. Today's -13F morning air had a crisp bite to it as I walked into my first calling location which was some coulee's that historically hold coyotes. Today was no exception with 3 showing shortly after some cottontail distress was played. Instead of coming across a 200 yard bench as others have in the past, these ones chose to skirt the offside of the rolling hills giving me only the odd glimpse. A big downwind loop and they bust me.... Tough area to hunt with just one person.
Next spot is the same coulee's but a 4 mile drive west. Park on the edge of a field and then hike a half mile east though pasture lands to an area that has a very large patch of willows bordering the creek. Situated with willows to the northeast and the breeze from the east, I start off with a few howls but get no response. Switch to some jackrabbit distress and its not long before I notice a single coming from the far hills to the north. I keep an eye on the much closer willow bushes just in case something shows. After numerous glances with nothing from the willows I re-position myself for the single. With it on a fast trot straight towards me, I'm thinking its just a matter of time but then it abruptly stops. I can see it looking to the west which draws my attention to a pair that are also coming in. These two cut much further west and head for my downwind side which I have a poor view of. Knowing that I likely won't see the pair again before they scent me, I take a quick range of 348 yards on the single. Before I get settled in for a shot, I see the pair tearing back north to the hills... busted!!. This also sends the single trotting back to the north. Another case of coyotes making that big downwind loop to catch my scent. Give my head a shake as I question myself, seems like this was my first time predator hunting?
After the long walk of shame and almost back to the truck I notice a coyote in the field mousing 300 or so yards directly downwind of my truck. Figures!!!!
Backtrack a 100 yards north and cut into the field at a spot where a draw will bring me closer to the unaware coyote. As I crest the last ridge I expect the coyote to be a couple hundred yards out but turns out the coyote was on the move also. We meet eye to eye at roughly 60 yards. The coyote lopes off to the north but keeps looking over its shoulder trying figure out what heck I was. I can only see its back for the most part but when the coyote hits my scent stream it shifts gears heading north towards the bush. A lucky shot rolls the runner but required a finishing shot. Ranged where it dropped at 168 yards.
Wrapping the season up tomorrow, it should be fun as I will hunting with my son up in his area. Maybe we can connect on one of those Daylight Saving Time coyotes.
pic host

Thank you lockrotor & Darrel

Four inches of fresh snow and still coming down as I pulled out the yard this morning. Not the best coyote hunting weather but the snow eventually stopped later in the morning. An easterly breeze really limited our calling spots but we did get in a couple. The first one was a bust but the second stand produced a pair that came into cottontail distress. My son dropped the one at less than 50 yards from where he sat. I couldn't get locked on the other one but at least we had one down. A nice way to finish up the season.
free image hosting

Back