Sources for Colt snake guns?

goose_boy

Hey all, sometime in the next year or so I would like to track down a specific, rare Colt snake gun that my father used to own. Other than the usual suspects like gunbroker etc, I know there are snake gun specific dealers and collectors out there. Does anyone have any leads for me? Feel free to PM them to me if they're not the type that likes publicity. Thanks guys!

GC, I'm looking for a nickel diamondback in 22 with the 6" barrel..... My dad sold that pistol along with all of his other pistols to scrape together money to raise me and my 2 brothers. When he went to sell his Python, my grandfather insisted on buying it from him for 350 dollars and sold it back to him years later for the same price. He still has that one but always wished he still had his diamondback.

A guy I work with's Dad has a bunch of Snake guns. Most new in box and he has started talking about selling some off. He has two I believe listed on a local auction. They don't sell cheap. Take a look at Bauer Auction service in Central IL. They have random gun auctions every couple of months. They will take phone or online bids. I took a quick look today for March 18 and 19th auction and saw one of the Colt Hunters I think it was called. Factory scoped setup, nice rig. They usually have Snake guns on every auction and appear to sell high but reasonable. They also have a lot of shotguns and rifles listed amongst the hand guns too.

Thanks for the leads guys, I will check into them. I know this particular pistol is going to cost more than several cars and trucks I've owned lol. Not expecting to touch a nice one for under 3k but I can always hope to find a deal. If anyone finds one for 400 I'll triple your money in 10 minutes!

Most of those guns will never be 'shooters' anyway, to valuable. Could you 'split the baby' & settle for a more common, less expensive gun that he can actually shoot? He may already have guns for shooters though, just an idea.

Its really more of a sentimental thing. We both own high quality 22 pistols, he still has his 357 python thats mostly a safe queen,along with a couple custom double stack 1911s and polymer frame general purpose/carry pistols. Its not really the need for a 22 revolver, i just know he always wished he still had that pistol. Something about the snake guns, they can really make you an addict for them lol.

You've picked a bad time to try and Pick up a Snake Gun, they have crazy high prices on them these days. Colt did just put out a "new" snake model in .22 if I remember correctly.

There will be a couple in the April Auction of James Julia. I remember in the 80's Colt would
tie Diamondbacks and Detective Specials to the Gov. models and AR's the distributors ordered. A 38spec Diamondback cost more than a S&W mod 19 357 and were a tough sell, but they were beautiful. I still kick myself, but like every one else I was magnum crazy.

I owned a Python for a few years and several Detective Specials and Police Positive revolvers off and on over the years. I always wanted a Diamondback but never got around to it. Honestly I never warmed up to the Colt double action vs.my S&W revolvers. Another strike against the Python for me personally was the grip size and feel. Beautiful as the Python was I didn't really regret selling it. The D-frame Colts fit my hand well but I guess because of the familiarity of the S&W action I just couldn't keep the Colt's around. I'd like to have a couple of them back now for nostalgia.

I'm a lucky guy. I have 3 Diamondbacks and none are for sale. 2 are.22's and one is a 38. My son is destined to be their new owners when I'm done with them.

kwg

Back