Remington R-15 Handguard removal

west5757

I went out hunting with my R-15 Saturday and it started raining. When I got home I was cleaning and oiling the gun and couldn't get behind the handgaurd. I need to remove it to oil the barrel and the manual says nothing of the removal process. How are you supposed to clean and oil behind this?

I just can't believe that it's that hard to get off. I would think it would be fairly common to remove it for cleaning and oiling purposes. It will be for me.

Iv never had mine off. Swapped a 2pc handguard to a free float tube for a buddy on a Stag. The delta ring was brutally tight, had to vice block that one.

I have a stainless barrel so i dont clean behind it. Once you get yours broke loose it shouldnt be a problem to get off to lube barrel under it after hunting in the rain or snow. You could try making a barrel vice from 2 blocks of wood. Drill a hole a little smaller than the barrel then cut the block in half. It might hold it tight enough. A good strap wrench will help grip the tube.

Still haven't tried to get the FFT off yet. Should I remove the gas tube first? I don't want to screw this up. It may be hard to get parts for these things real soon.

I see that this is an older post, but I have this gun and I too am having a b&%$h of a time with the lock ring. I just went out and bought a chain wrench, but before I go reefing on it I am going to ask. I assume that the threads for the lock ring and handguard are standard but I have assumed wrong before and broke stuff. Are the threads standard or reverse on these? Thanks a million.
Troy

I called Remington after I posted and the guy told me that they were standard threads, but they use Rocksett thread lock on that part of the assembly. He told me to boil it for 15 minutes and the lock nut should back off. No such luck. Anybody out there familiar with this stuff?

Back