Is it possible to Drill and Tap a Benelli super black eagle?

Jhedges

I was wondering this, instead of using a B square mount, is it possible to get a SBE 1 drilled and tapped to accept the SBE 2 bases?

I have wanted to so I can apply some optics to it, but when I was talking to a friend at his shop, he told me due to the aluminum reciever that it wouldnt work.

What are the new SBE 2's made out of then for owners to incorporate a scope base on?

If you're going a red dot route, check out the Burris Speed Bead. The mount with a small bracket sandwiched between the butt stock and receiver. But they are very effective and usefull.

You can tap aluminum but galling can be a problem. I had a tricky tap job on a welded nut inside the frame of my jeep and asked a gunsmith friend where he bought his Tap Magic. He gave me a tip which works great on steel but I haven't tried it on stainless or aluminum. He uses lard of all things (not Crisco, but pure lard). One great plus for lard is it stays put on the tap.

If I had to tap SS or aluminum, I'd get a scrap and try it first then all you stand to lose is the tap itself.

Regards,
hm

Well I wouldnt do it myself, i'd have it done, but I was just curious to do it, and pahntr I did look into the speed bead but I just didnt know, I also looked into scoping it and kicking around with smoothebore slugs, but I was just curous if anyone has drilled and tapped their SBE.

Thanks as always guys for the great info..

I had my original SBE tapped 8/40 for a base to hold an Aimpoint. No problemo whatsoever and I've beaten the livin' crap outta that shotgun...

I have a set of blocks that just came off my buddys SBE 2 ,they are leupolds that were bored to fit the top of the reciever with almost a perfect fit.They are both dovetail with no windage screws. He wanted it to be rigid.

Yes itncan he done. Know if anfew m2's done. 1 guy took his to a 34year experienced gunsmith and he ended up drilling through the whole receiver top. The fella wasn't happy

Back