Baiting

Thanks guys. We all seem to stand together on this issue. One other observation about this particular thread is that there is peace and harmony here, a brotherhood of sorts, with lessons shared by all and real learning for everyone. I only recall maybe one guy who got out of line a little bit in this entire thread, if I recall correctly. Maybe I am thinking of another thread, which just goes to show that there is no arguing here, posturing or nonsense.

Seems I am always learning from you guys, just like I learned the other day of how Gobbler made a cover for his trail camera, and of DannyK's window foam idea that has served me well, as to DoubleUp's use of the Driveway Patrol sensor that I could not have done well without, and the list goes on and on. We all share our ideas and experiences and it helps everyone. Your stories, photos and videos are exciting and I look forward to seeing the next. I really think a lot of you guys.

On the subject of home-made night vision, what specifically are you wondering about with regards to the battery issue, Gobbler?

Oh, sorry 6. I was referring to the batteries for my cameras. The night vision build, well,...I'd like to look into that more at a later time.
Agreed, this is a great site with great folks.

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood too. Hope the camera battery deal works well for you.

As to the home-made night vision, I think it's far better than Gen 1, more like Gen 2.

This thread has certainly been running a long time now since ol' Cougar Jim got it started. I was just getting into trying to fix a bait site back then in 2011. I think Jim started this thread sometime in 2010. Come to think of it, haven't seen him post in a long time now. I checked his Youtube channel and it hasn't had anything new in 5 years or so. He did us a great favor by starting it even though some thought it wouldn't get much attention. Here it is 2017 and still going. Sometimes it does go weeks or even months with not many posts, but then it picks back up again. Lots of very good and valuable info here to be had for free. Might take a whet to read all 249 pages though. Lol

Thanks to all of you who contribute your knowledge and ideas to this topic. Surely helped me a whole lot in getting started.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Good idea to phone Moultrie. They may not want to tell you, but it won't hurt to ask if a 2.1mm CCTV plug will fit those cameras. If so, then you can wire them cheap. Otherwise, $14 for each plug / camera will add up quickly.

Well 6, I contacted Moultrie requesting the size of the external power source plug and you were right. They would not give out that information. The camera battery box unit Moultrie sells on their site is compatible with all Moultrie 2007 and later cameras. So, certainly the cable on custom 1 enterprises (14.99)should fit my M-999i camera but I would need 3.....Ouch! Going to check one source locally first.

My predator season closed here and all in all it was probably my best yet. Maybe I'm finally getting the hang of bait hunting after many years or an increase in the number of predators, or just plain luck.????
With 120.5 hours on stand, I killed 6 Reds, 1 Gray, 17 Coons, 2 Possums, and 0 Skunk.

Even with unseasonably warm weather, the critters were still pretty active on New Moons, not so much on the Fulls. Overall a fun season that I feel blessed to have been afforded. To those still continuing the hunt, best of luck.

Gobbler, when I have time (and feel better from this cold I have) I will check to see if those little CCTV plugs fit my Moultrie. If they do, the only thing left to do is to see if it will power it with a 12-volt battery. If it works then you can wire your cameras pretty cheap. We'll see.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Gobbler, when I have time (and feel better from this cold I have) I will check to see if those little CCTV plugs fit my Moultrie. If they do, the only thing left to do is to see if it will power it with a 12-volt battery. If it works then you can wire your cameras pretty cheap. We'll see.

Hey,thanks 6. I'm in no hurry. I have 'til next deer season (Fall)to get my cameras ready. Hope you feel better soon! Folks around here have been battling the flu - steer clear of that.

Little luck of the Irish last night....

He came in Monday but just walked by in the shadows but looked like a coyote. He was back Tuesday and Wednesday but didn't check camera till Thursday morning cause of the storm. Thursday night I was waiting and it finally came together.

Last edited:
After last weeks debacle I thought here we go again when he took off. He piled up in about 20 yards behind a big log and I couldn't see it with the thermal. He painted a pretty good blood trail in the snow.

Last edited:
Pretty work P. Did you shoot him with a bazooka?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpPretty work P. Did you shoot him with a bazooka?
smile.gif

Entrance and exit were low on chest behind shoulder, kind of surprised at the exit. About half the fox I shot this year with 55gr Vmax were perfect, no damage small exit, the other half were head shots or marginal hits that blew them up.

I wish I pulled the trigger before the other camera shut off it would have been great footage from the impact side.

Last edited:
Back