Suppressed 300 Blkout VS 308 win

Remingtonman

Im looking at getting one of the two rounds mentioned in the title header. My question is which is better for sound suppression the 300 blckout or 308 win shooting subsonics? In all reality if both are shooting subs why even bother going with the blackout? Is there any advantage to one over the other? Any info is appreciated, RM.

Last edited:
300 BLK is quieter and has more subsonic ammo available. However, it has poor trajectory and not as much energy. If shooting subsonic, most go the short barrel/suppressed Blackout route. I think 300 BLK is stupid and would rather shoot a suppressed .308. It would still hearing safe. Why are you intent on shooting subsonic?

Last edited:
Depends on how you want to compare them. But a 308 bolt action will always be quieter than a AR 300.
But the 308 will always be more versatile since your full power loads are fast. The 300 in an AR you have the convenience of a semi auto.

I started out loading 200 grain soft points subsonic in my 308 years ago with Trailboss powder. They are quiet and fun but pointless really.

Originally Posted By: roky0702300 BLK is quieter and has more subsonic ammo available. However, it has poor trajectory and not as much energy. If shooting subsonic, most go the short barrel/suppressed Blackout route. I think 300 BLK is stupid and would rather shoot a suppressed .308. It would still hearing safe. Why are you intent on shooting subsonic?

i hate to destroy your fanboyism for 308... however...

any 308 caliber bullet - lets assume that both calibers are firing the exact same bullet just for consistency sake - fired out of either caliber at 1050 FPS (or whichever velocity you pick, as long as its consistent) has exactly the same energy and trajectory.

a bullet doesnt care what barrel/caliber its fired from. its external ballistics when fired at the same velocity are going to be identical.

you did get one thing right - there's a LOT more factory offerings of subsonic ammo for the 300 blk than the 308 - that's because having that subsonic ability is one of the design specs FOR the 300 blk.

couple things a 308 cant do (or do nearly as well) a 300 blk can subsonic

1) cycle a semi auto - 300 blk wins here hands down
2) be way more efficient on powder use - just look at the difference in case volume - 300 blk wins hands down
3) have many more powder choices that are both appropriate and safe for firing subsonic with the same selection of bullets - again 300 blk wins
4) stabilize a significantly smaller selection bullets at subsonic velocity compared to 300 blk because of the standard twist rates used commonly in barrel production (1:10 for 308 vs 1:8 or 1:7 in 300 blk). 1:10 twist is going to struggle with longer (heavier) bullets. - 300 blk win

now obviously, i'm never going to argue that the 300 blk is going to match a 308 in the max velocity department - that's as foolish as the statements you made about 300 blk's supposed shortcomings. There's no doubt that within the supersonic world its an intermediate cartridge. In that realm 308 wins solidify.

however in the subsonic world, 300 blk steals the spotlight hands down.

Case volume with subs is very important. Getting consistent velocities are pretty important if your going to dope it out (shoot much past 75yards or so).

If you don't care about the best accuracy you can get... you'll be happy with either.

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: roky0702300 BLK is quieter and has more subsonic ammo available. However, it has poor trajectory and not as much energy. If shooting subsonic, most go the short barrel/suppressed Blackout route. I think 300 BLK is stupid and would rather shoot a suppressed .308. It would still hearing safe. Why are you intent on shooting subsonic?

i hate to destroy your fanboyism for 308... however...

any 308 caliber bullet - lets assume that both calibers are firing the exact same bullet just for consistency sake - fired out of either caliber at 1050 FPS (or whichever velocity you pick, as long as its consistent) has exactly the same energy and trajectory.

a bullet doesnt care what barrel/caliber its fired from. its external ballistics when fired at the same velocity are going to be identical.

you did get one thing right - there's a LOT more factory offerings of subsonic ammo for the 300 blk than the 308 - that's because having that subsonic ability is one of the design specs FOR the 300 blk.

couple things a 308 cant do (or do nearly as well) a 300 blk can subsonic

1) cycle a semi auto - 300 blk wins here hands down
2) be way more efficient on powder use - just look at the difference in case volume - 300 blk wins hands down
3) have many more powder choices that are both appropriate and safe for firing subsonic with the same selection of bullets - again 300 blk wins
4) stabilize a significantly smaller selection bullets at subsonic velocity compared to 300 blk because of the standard twist rates used commonly in barrel production (1:10 for 308 vs 1:8 or 1:7 in 300 blk). 1:10 twist is going to struggle with longer (heavier) bullets. - 300 blk win

now obviously, i'm never going to argue that the 300 blk is going to match a 308 in the max velocity department - that's as foolish as the statements you made about 300 blk's supposed shortcomings. There's no doubt that within the supersonic world its an intermediate cartridge. In that realm 308 wins solidify.

however in the subsonic world, 300 blk steals the spotlight hands down.

Stated perfectly.
For Sub's only go 300 Blackout. I knock them out on my Dillion by the 100's. 240 SMK,
H110 9.7grs. good for 175-225 yards. Accuracy wise.

I also did some Supers in 130 SMK's. Getting 1900 FPS good accuracy on steel out to 575 yrs out of a 8.5 Suppressed noveske barrel.

Plant.One, quit with the pompous attitude. I am no fanboy. I own ONE fairly new .308 and have only shot it a handful of times so get off your high horse. I wasn't specifically talking about subsonic .308 because the BLK is much more efficient subsonic. I was comparing the sub BLK to supersonic suppressed .308 since those are their best fit roles. I know what the BLK was designed for and what it's better at, that's common sense. As Nonnleselman said, subsonic .308 is pointless...which is why I asked the OP why he's set on shooting subsonic in the first place. I'll wait for his reply.

You can get 1050fps with trail boss out of a .308, but can you get 2650fps with 175 match kings out of a .300 blk?

tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: 6724apples and cantaloupes

Why?
I have both, and the .308 is ballistically MUCH more diverse than the .300. Granted, I don't keep the .308 bolt gun by the night stand for h.d. But plinking or killing things on the ranch that needs killing, either works well, except the .308 bolt is much quieter than the .300 A.R.

apples to apples

Back