The moon is starting to brighten up... Will you keep hunting?

Originally Posted By: johncraddock445Just trying to learn... but... what is it about this time of year that makes it tough? Is it normally slower after breeding season until they drop their pup's as a rule?

Coyotes should be in FULL RUT about now, they would rather screw than eat for the most part.

When the pups are in the womb then the hunger pains will start up again and continue until the pups are born.

I shot 2 single males on Saturday, only saw six Coyotes and all were singles. Not sure where the females were but they just were not interested in anything I had to play!

Just got in at 12:30am.
Earlier I Went out tonight at 9:15pm and called for about 1 hr.
Just about 5-10 mins before the moon came up I had a coyote come in from directly upwind of the call. I took a shot at 100yds, but couldn't find any blood or body. Gonna hit the range and check my scope this weekend.

I started with icotec M,F,K lone howls and no response.
Went to a dog whimper, then M,F,K coyote estrus whimper
Hit the jack rabbit once
Switched back to coyote estrus whimper and that's when it came in. Must've been curious to see who was breeding.

Hate that I may have educated one a little tonight, but I'll get em sooner or later.

Last edited:
We blanked in 3 good spots last night except for what I think was a fox. Plenty of howling but no takers. Your gotta figure by now half are dead, most of which were young ones, and they other half are old educated dogs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223We blanked in 3 good spots last night except for what I think was a fox. Plenty of howling but no takers. Your gotta figure by now half are dead, most of which were young ones, and they other half are old educated dogs.

How long are y'all sitting each stand?

I'm learning that down here in SC you have to sit longer and play a few different sounds until you find the one that triggers a response.
Even when I accidentally hit the wrong sound and think I've screwed up the stand, I'm finding it doesn't seem to matter much as long as I keep going until I trigger a reaction.

81 I have had similar luck in SC. Had one at 37 mins and another at 30 mins, one at 22 mins recently. I like them 2 min deals but they are few and far between for me. I have been staying about 45 mins. I did a set near a trail cam I had out the other night. I stayed 45 mins and the coyote triggered the cam 15 mins after I left so at the 1 hr mark.

Last edited:
Back