ICO tec decoy on Fox pro?

Stub2

I have had a ICO tec 320 which comes with a decoy. I up graded to a Fox pro Inferno. My question is, can I use the decoy from the ICO tec attached to the Inferno without burning out my caller?
FOX PRO has a bunch of warnings in their instructions that using the wrong decoy could damage the caller.

I found the answer to my question. I called Fox Pro and talked to the service dept. They think there is a good chance that the decoy will burn out parts of the Inferno.
They also said that I should put the caller in a plastic bag if it was raining or snowing because the call is not waterproof.
I asked about the signal from the remote. There needs to be line of sight between the caller and remote (which is not necessary with the Ico tec). The remote antenna needs to be point toward the sky rather than the caller. According to the tec, the signal from the remote goes up then to the side. If you point the remote antenna at the call the signal will go out a short distance then be directed down toward the ground and probably miss the call.
I was impressed with Fox Pro's service department, even when they didn't give me the answers I wanted to hear. Sometimes wishful thinking just doesn't work out.

All of the reports I have read regarding reliability of the remote are most complimentary. Hammer0419 has tested that remote at every kind of setup you can name with no negatives. It tells you right in the manual to point the remote straight up when operating.

Stub2, I have an inferno and a shockwave. The Inferno remote isn't as fancy as the TX1000 with all the bells and whistles. But it is a VERY good remote. I've never had any line of sight issues with mine. You'll be pleased with it's performance.

I have no complains with the remote either, though I haven't used it in the field yet. My main concern was using another makers decoy wired to the inferno. I am not very skilled with electrical things. The service tec thought the polarity of the decoy might be reversed from that of the call which would result in the amplifier being burned out and maybe other things.
As far as the remote is concerned, somewhere on the web there was a debate about fox pro remotes not working very good, (that would be the older models, I ve read nothing against the newer ones). Those debating back and forth about the old remotes discussed how to hold the remote when using it. One group insisted the remotes worked better if the antenna was pointed at the call. So as long as I was on the phone to the service department I asked and was told to point the antenna toward the sky. (Sorry if I wasted his time and yours by not reading the instructions carefully.)
I didn't see where it told what the range of the remote was, so I asked. The tec said it had been tested out to 500 yards, with line of sight. So I asked about range if things were between the remote and the call. His come back was, "there couldn't be much more than some thin brush or the remote wouldn't work very well."
I want to go on record as saying I love the features on the Fox Pro remote and its service department was very helpful to me.
As far as the decoy situation goes, I now have two. The Ico tec decoy that come with my ICO tec 320 and a Lucky Duck Lil' Critter which I bought today. I did a little diy work on the ICO tec so it will standup when not connected to a call.
The Lucky Duck decoy looks more like an animal in distress to me than most of the decoys Ive seen. IAM NOT IMPRESSED WITH THE SHAFF THAT HOLDS THE FUR BEING MADE OUT OF PLASTIC.
I won't be able use either decoy attached or controlled by the remote. The plus side, I can use either decoy when I use hand calls and leave the e call at home (which I have doing a lot lately).

Stub2, I'm sure the tech was erring on the safe side. It's going to take more than thin brush to interfere with remote reliability. Check out the Inferno video Mike Dillon has on YouTube. It's more than thin brush.... That video is what convinced me to buy one. I had a wildfire II previously and had reliability issues with the remote in certain situations. Never had any problems with the inferno.

Stub2,

One thing that I would like to clarify is the range issue. As with any remote control, range will always be increased by line of sight, and also by having the main unit elevated some(3-4 feet makes a big difference). When we tested the new remotes that come with the Inferno, Deadbone, and Banshee, we got 500 yards, line of sight, but also sitting on the ground. If you elevate it just a little bit, it will be extended even further. However, if there are obstructions between the unit and the remote, range can be diminished some what. Again, this is the case with any remote out there. I can tell you that the range of our new remotes are much better than some of our older ones, and I'll put them up against any call out there.
As far as the decoy, we have the FOXJACK 5 decoy that can attach directly to the Inferno. It's a great decoy, and works very well. What's better, is that now they are Made In The USA. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Mike thanks for the information.
One thing that bothers me is whether to attach a decoy to the call. My first unit (not fox pro) had an attached decoy. If the call is raised the 2-3 feet or more that you suggest the decoy is also that high and I wonder if that is a good idea.
With my first unit I placed the decoy separately on the ground and raised the call higher. I then attached the decoy to the call with a 12 foot cord. The problem is the decoy wasn't designed to stand by itself and I had to come up with something to keep it from tipping over. It kind of looks like the new decoy you suggested would have the same problem with tipping. Any suggestions?

Why wouldn't it be a good idea to raise the decoy. It just makes it that much easier for them to see from further out. It is going to hurt anything.

I have been using different model FoxPro ecallers for years, all on a little tripod, and all with the decoy. It doesn't hurt a thing, and could even help you at certain times, like when the grass is high.

I have a loop of string attached to the handle of my caller. I use the loop over a tree branch to raise the caller off the ground. If I use the attached decoy the wire hits the tree branch causing noise and sometimes tangling the topper in the tree branch. It also has tendency to make the call swing around on the branch.

Back