17 Fireball Brass or ammo New offerings?

17Loony

Must say that I am happy to see a new supplier on the block for 17 Fireball. Was suprised when shopping on line to find Nosler 17 Fireball ammo listed by 17 Remington Ammo. Can only imagine a brass only offering will come soon.

Reality check looked a little further and was aparently a misprint
blush.gif

Last edited:
I have only used their 17 rem die formed brass, they advise neck sizing and fire forming and annealing.I go one step further, I turn the necks to match my remington factory brass. First fire with Hornady 25 gr hp through my Shilen barreled ar groups are usually around .5 moa, case capacity is slightly less than a factory Remington case after fire forming.

My preparation
1. Anneal
2. Neck size
Load and shoot
3. Neck size
4. Turn the necks(outside).
Case is now good to go. Neck is slightly shorter than factory. The next batch I order I will have High Plains leave them long and trim myself.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshoot Neck is slightly shorter than factory. The next batch I order I will have High Plains leave them long and trim myself.

If they make .17 Remingtons out of 5.56 brass how can they not be short to start off with I wonder?

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshoot Neck is slightly shorter than factory. The next batch I order I will have High Plains leave them long and trim myself.

They make their .17 Remington brass from 5.56 brass. 5.56 brass is 1.1760" in length and .17 Rem is 1.796" in length. Seems to me that no matter what as long as 5.56 (or .223) brass is used to make .17 Remington then you are going to end up with a slightly short case.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: spotstalkshoot Neck is slightly shorter than factory. The next batch I order I will have High Plains leave them long and trim myself.

They make their .17 Remington brass from 5.56 brass. 5.56 brass is 1.1760" in length and .17 Rem is 1.796" in length. Seems to me that no matter what as long as 5.56 (or .223) brass is used to make .17 Remington then you are going to end up with a slightly short case.
Rusty,
Wont the sizing and necking down result in "extra" brass going somewhere,maybe making them longer? I've never done it, just guessing.
James

I have used the Fireball brass with great results.
I go in this order
anneal with the Annie
size with expander die
trim
neck turn
prime
load
shoot
My fire forming loads shot so well I used them in an offhand match.

Originally Posted By: jamesd
Rusty,
Wont the sizing and necking down result in "extra" brass going somewhere,maybe making them longer? I've never done it, just guessing.
James

Well, when I tried making .17 Rem from .223 I ended up with really short necks. Shootable but not desirable. I got plenty of .17 Rem stuff so I did not bother with it.

Probably because the Fireball is so much shorter it works better. I had a 17 Rem on order but a fireball deal I couldn't pass up came my way!

So no new source for .17 fb brass? I bought out every store in the area the past few years so I have a small supply but would love to add more.fun gun to shoot and a pound of powder lasts a very long time

The last batch I received measured 1.7825+-.0005. Last batch of Remington nickel plated averaged 1.7885. That's why I thought next batch of High Plains reformed brass Would be untrimmed. I have a few necked turned multiple reloaded brass that are now 1.786-1.788 so they will grow if shot and full length sized. I have been running these through a custom ar15 used for hunting,no brass catcher.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: denjahnSo no new source for .17 fb brass? I bought out every store in the area the past few years so I have a small supply but would love to add more.fun gun to shoot and a pound of powder lasts a very long time

Lapua 221FB brass necked down in at least two steps to 17. The only thing better would be Lapua 17FB brass but I doubt that will ever happen.

Thanks. I don't have the equipment or the hobby time for making my own brass which was what got me to buy the FB in the first place. I may need to sell it and get a .204 at some point

Back