Deer in coyote traps

glosto

Just got 83 Eastern Turkey released on my place and started trapping coyotes last Friday. Setting 6 traps and have had deer throw 2 one day and 2 more today. Caught my first 2 coyotes this mourning but really would like to know what I might use to discourage the deer from investigating my sets. Using dirt hole set with bait in hole 10 inchs deep and a single spray of coyote urine on my back drop. Anyone have this problem? They just throw them, not catch them.

Thanks Gary

Last edited:
I have deer trip traps on me during the season makes it a pain to redo the set. But I don't think theres much you can do about it If you try to block them off you'll probably be doing the same to the coyote. If you have some more traps put them out just to have the extra sets active for when the deer trip them.
J

Last edited:
I use a block stick...just set it back far enough. A coyote will step over it to work the set, deer will usually just lean down towards the ground to smell. Gotta remember a deer's neck can reach further and is longer than a coyotes neck. I have to do a similar thing in my hog traps to keep the deer from tripping the trip wire. If you continue to have trouble, purchase a high quailty game camera that will shoot good night video and set it up to learn how the deer are working ur set.

Last edited:
Using footholds or snares might come in handy. If you are using snares, put break way locks on it thus they can usually get out because of their hoof.
A deer jump stick will have adult deer go over the stick and the snare. But not sure about small deer which might duck into the loop.
On approaching wildlife removal services toronto for some tips, they suggested me to use appropriate foothold trap near the trail and draw your target to your set using bait and lure. Avoid urine as it is attractive to deer also. A snare may not always be the most feasible means to trap.
I once successfully implemented a simple trick using blind sets and footholds. I arranged for natural bumps or sticks in the trail and placed the trap under snow. Lure him to the trap with snow chunks or small sticks. The best part is if the deer steps in the trap, they will pull out and the deer are spared any harm.

Back