Burls are a sickness

TNYotehntr

I haven't made a call in over a year... but something about the hunt for wood gets in your blood lol. I got my last Hickory burl with my my buddy from here... well he came through again with 2...

On the tree...

IMG_0643_zpsu0luxoen.png

Then after a little time on the bandsaw...

EB4186A5-_zpsn4girhwd.jpg

Then into blanks... It'll be a while before they're dry
smile.gif

IMG_0645_zpswdp19hea.png

It is some pretty stock! LOL I just don't seem to have time these days Mark. What extra time seems to go to running my dogs and a little bit of hunting... then while I'm out there I'll run into a burl!
smile.gif

Nice burl Brad! I didn't think you were going to cut it up yet. The sickness is that you can't wait to see what is inside. Looking forward to getting one (or two) from these burls
thumbup.gif

I have to ask...what, if anything do you use to fill in the voids???? I ask this because I saw a custom knife that had handles made out of some sort of pine cones and the maker filled in the voids with like a clear blue plastic. Most custom knives are so ugly they make vomit, but this one was nice.
Also because I have a tree with one of those big burl balls on it in the woods behind my house. I believe it is a red oak, but there are a lot of those around here in the woods. Mostly they are on wild black cherry trees. I have often wanted to cut one up and see if I could do anything with it, but so far just been looking.

Those aren't voids, it's dark figure. If you hit Ctrl and + at the same time on your keyboard you can zoom in and see more detail. Use Ctrl and 0 to return to normal size.
wink.gif

Back