.243 .308 6.5 creedmore or other caliber

pcew73

Hello guys! I'm new to the sight and was wanting some opinions on a new caliber for coyotes and only coyotes. My furthest shots will be less than 500 yards. I'm not interested in keeping the furs and want it to be drt when I shoot it. I know I'll get different perspectives and that's exactly what I want. Im also interested in knowing what guns you have your respective caliber in. Thank you in advance guys and I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys

Erik

For that range you don't even need a fast twist. For 30 years I used a .25-06 shooting 85 gr bullets here in OH. I also have a .243 and .22-250 that I use but sill favor that .25-06.

243 is hard to beat,Ive owned em all and now have a 223 and a 243.I prefer the .223 but the majority of my shots are 350 n in here in Pa on woodchucks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dultimatpredator243 with 70g ballistic tips is my long range rifle of choice.

If you don't handload......then definitely this ^

.243 and it really It even close between those. I handload 55gr sierra blitzkings and they do wonders on coyotes without exiting. 70gr BTs from Nosler are great which Federal I believe makes those off the shelf. If you can find Hornady or Barnes in the all copper bullets they are great but pricey.

If you do not reload .243 is the easy choice or 22-250.

Not really any point to consider larger if you do not want to also kill deer too. Not really any point in going smaller unless you want to also shoot smaller stuff like jack rabbits and other varmint where you will shoot a lot more rounds.

6.5 Creedmoor with 120gr Amax. Don't use if your squeamish
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif
. I have mine in a Ruger Hawkeye Varmint/Target. She's a big girl, go with the Ruger Hawkeye Predator if you want a slimmer version.

I have shot lots of coyotes with all kinds of cartridges. 223, 22-250, 220 Swift, 243, 25-06, 6.5 Creed, and up through 270 and 30-06. If you aren't saving fur, my hands down favorite is the 243. Factory load I would use the 70 VMAX. I hand load the using 87 VMAX, which has quite a bit better BC for out further. Either one is going to be a hammer though. That factory Remington 1:9.25 twist will handle the 87 VMAX (pretty long bullet for the weight) and 100 grain spitzer boat tails just fine. Some folks say they can get it to shoot the 105 AMAX, but it is on the edge for that.

But to answer your question, I would get a 243 and not look back.

IMO the 243 is about as close to a "do it all" caliber there is. Light bullets at blazing speed and heavy bullets at still a smokin velocity and usually pretty dang accurate even at long range. What more could you ask for?

Back