Multi cal question...

SaffordHunter

I get that a weapon chambered for 5.56 can shoot either calibre; and a .223 can only shoot .223 due to the pressure....

But in a multi cal, is one calibre typically more accurate than the other? I was thinking 5.56 would be due to the higher pressure...

Answered my own question... the barrel is stamped 5.56, 1:9 twist on the bottom in front of the gas block for anyone else wondering the same...

Originally Posted By: SaffordHunterI get that a weapon chambered for 5.56 can shoot either calibre; and a .223 can only shoot .223 due to the pressure....

But in a multi cal, is one calibre typically more accurate than the other? I was thinking 5.56 would be due to the higher pressure...

Pressure by itself will not be a major factor in accuracy of one round over another. It has to be balanced with a multitude of factors. It is just a part of the equation.

Greg

If looking for accuracy most generally choose a .223 Wylde chamber first, then .223, and 5.56 last. However, I have a 5.56 chamber barrel and it's very accurate. The differences are minimal so it's not that big of a deal. .223 Wylde 1:8 twist is my preferred choice.

Last edited:
Back