Savage Axis cocking issue

Mike B

I have a young friend with an Axis in 223 that will occasionally not itself when working the bolt. Says he's running the bolt normal, not hard, or real soft. From his description of the problem, sometimes it wont cock itself when working the bolt, so he removes the bolt, manually pushes the cocking piece pin up with his fingers to cock it, then reloads the gun then it seems to work ok for awhile. No consistency on it - has done it twice in less than 100 rounds. Just looking to see if anyone has had a similar experience and what the solution was. I'm guessing something simple here, but not sure at this point.

Not an accutrigger, and he has not messed with the trigger, but it is a second hand gun. We will check trigger adjustments. Trigger to not be set real light right now he says.

And I have no idea why/how I posted this in the Reloading section?!?!?!? If a mod sees this, can you tell me how to move it to the Firearms section I intended to post it in??!?!? LOL! Thx.

Last edited:
The bolt is out of time (not assembled in alignment) properly. Look in the manual or on-line to see how it should be corrected.

Back