Digital trigger

dan158

Not sure about durability but would be fun to play with...The price is 500$ to 600$...Dan

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dan158mechanical one for a little under 5.. ECHO TRIGGER

The big advantage of the digital is the ability to stay on target better with the 1 lb. trigger pull.

I wonder how one of these would do on a sounder of hogs ?? You would have a double tap on each lead for the runners.

It might be pretty sweet for taking out these little shoats with a suppressed 556.

This is an EDIT UPDATE on this post. I got very interested in this trigger and called Ben at Digital Trigger Technologies and he shared the following information with me:

The current trigger is based on a polymer grip design and is intended for sporting and civilian use. There is a new LE and Mil Spec unit coming out soon that will be made of aluminum and will meet all military requirements with regard to water intrusion. The LE and Military unit will also allow for full automatic and selected fire rates.

The Mil Spec aluminum hand grip will be available for civilian purchase with the standard single and binary fire functions only. That means you will be able to choose the polymer or aluminum hand grip when you purchase.

The trigger units have to be installed in house so your lower has to be shipped to one of their 2 installation locations. There is a new feature coming soon that will offer Nickel Boron coating of the trigger assembly. I was told that this will be available for anyone that purchases now for a minimal cost and can be installed like any other trigger once it is available. The unit will NOT have to be shipped back for the upgrade.

After discussing this with a commercial hog hunter that I shoot for occasionally I have decided to give it a try. I shipped a new lower build to them today and should have it back by next week. Once I get it I will mate it up to my short range 6.8 SPC upper and take it to the range for adjustments. I will be running a suppressor with an adjustable gas block and JP Silent Spring with the spring pack for tuning.

Hopefully I will be able to field test it soon on a sounder of hogs and see how effective the binary trigger function is in an actual hunting scenario. I am anxious to see if the double tap shot will make up for a miscalculated lead on a running hog. IMO the learning curve will be follow thru on the lead and adjusting for added muzzle rise. I don't plan to shoot any differently and just let the second round fill the gap.

https://digitrigger.com

This is a pic of the new Mil Spec unit. You can see the added automatic and selected fire rate buttons on the side of the grip.

2Zw5bB6.jpg

EDIT:

After further thought I decided against the Digital Trigger purchase and decided to go with the Fostech mechanical design. See the post below for more info.

https://fostechoutdoors.com/shop/

Last edited:
It's interesting & could be useful in some applications. But it's expensive & personally I don't think I'd care for one for hunting. Too many years & thousands of rounds, a 1 lb trigger is too light for that use for me. I tend to tune mine to about 3 lbs or a bit less.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishIt's interesting & could be useful in some applications. But it's expensive & personally I don't think I'd care for one for hunting. Too many years & thousands of rounds, a 1 lb trigger is too light for that use for me. I tend to tune mine to about 3 lbs or a bit less.

EDIT:

Stu.... After giving your post more thought I realized you are RIGHT about the 1 lb. trigger being too light. Not sure what I was thinking .... I wasn't apparently....but it dawned on me that a trigger that light with no mechanical feedback is asking for trouble in a night hunting sceanario. Not to mention it is one more device to have to power and use buttons to operate. I already have enough with the thermal scanner, thermal scope, batteries and battery packs in addition to a mini DVR.

I wanted to verify the pull weight so I called Ben at Digital Trigger and he told me it was actually 1.5lbs which is still too light. He said the only way to increase that is with a heavier trigger spring which will decrease battery life. I voiced my concerns and he agreed and gave me a full refund and will ship my lower back at no charge for shipping. He was great to deal with in case anyone has any customer service concerns with regard to a trigger purchase from Digital Trigger.

Given that information I took a second look at the Fostech mechanical binary trigger. When I first looked at these I ran across some information that stated the trigger pull was 5lbs or more which is not correct. According to what I learned from further research is the trigger pull is 3.5 to 4 lbs.

Another plus with the Fostech is that you can still single fire with the trigger switched to binary mode by not pulling through on the trigger. It would take some practice but should not be too difficult to learn. You can also cancel the carrier return round by switching the safety selector to the semi position before releasing the trigger.

The Digital Trigger requires you to hold the trigger down for 6 seconds or push the button on the grip to cancel the carrier return round.

The only viable hunting scenario that I see the trigger being used in is as stated above with a close range running shot setup. If you look at the timer in the video above from the 1st shot to the last was 5 seconds. No time to think about much other than get the lead and send the round and I just keep thinking sending 2 rounds at a time might be an advantage.

I switched to the Fostech mechanical and will follow up after some time using the trigger.

Last edited:
I would be concerned with the rifle returning to zero fast enough to keep the second round from going high with muzzle rise, or low if the comp/can causes a dip.

Gman, that's a lot more thought than I'd given it. Never thought about night hunting, as I have no background in that.

I'm mainly thinking that I have a lot of muscle memory in this, so to safely use a trigger like this in release fire mode I think it would take a lot of trigger time to ingrain different skills & habits. Also most of my hunting has been in colder temps with gloves.

I do think would be a lot of fun to mess with & could be very good in some applications, just not the ones I would likely use it in, for me.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI do think would be a lot of fun to mess with & could be very good in some applications, just not the ones I would likely use it in, for me.

If nothing else it will be a fun way to get rid of an assortment of old ammo I have on hand.....
w00t.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the input Gman757.. Do you know if the Fostech mechanical can be lowered to 2 or 3lbs without affecting it?? Thank you.. Dan

Originally Posted By: dan158Thanks for the input Gman757.. Do you know if the Fostech mechanical can be lowered to 2 or 3lbs without affecting it?? Thank you.. Dan

I don't know but I would think NOT given the complexity of the unit.

FYI.....the Fostech trigger comes with a proprietary bolt carrier that must be used for the system to operate properly.

There is a way to modify a standard carrier but it would need to be a M16 profile bolt carrier.

Last edited:

I installed the Fostech trigger in one of my lowers and I have it set up with my close range 6.8 SPC 19mm thermal rig. I have not hunted with it because my last outings have been open field and I use a different rig for that with a standard 2 stage trigger.

I figure that muzzle rise will be less of an issue at close range so my plan is to try it in that scenario. I have not been seeing many hogs lately and I haven't been very motivated in the FL heat anyway. Hopefully I will get a chance to try the Fostech now that things will start cooling of a little here.

I have only been to the range with it one time to test for function and I had no issues. It does take a little getting used to but not a big deal. I plan another day at the range to practice the double tap before hunting to see if I can manage the muzzle rise effectively. As you can see in the vids I had my rest too high and it was allowing the recoil to walk my upper body back off balance.

sIsYrat.jpg

Double Tap

Rapid Fire

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotbet these types of triggers are on the tf radar now.

No doubt. I'm waiting to see if they are on the hit list with the Bump Stock.
scared.gif

EDIT -- Here ya go Slick....the Libtards are already going after modified triggers also.

"FEINSTEIN’S “AUTOMATIC GUNFIRE PREVENTION ACT” MIGHT MAKE REPLACEMENT TRIGGERS ILLEGAL"

http://www.mssblog.com/2017/10/05/feinst...iggers-illegal/

Last edited:
Back