CZ 527 Varmint Range Report

Acronin

Ok, some of you may remember that I was toying around with getting a CZ527 varmint chambered in .17 Remington. Well I did get it and it is outstanding. It may quickly become my new favorite rifle. Now I haven't put extensive time at the range yet, it has been windy and cold and I just haven't had time. But today I made a decision to go down and shoot it regardless of the whether, which was quite breezy. Here are the better results from my shooting. I shot two bullets with the same powder, IMR4320. The 20 grain Nosler Varmageddon ballistic tips look to be a winner. The Hornady HPs are hopeful, I think I need to mess with the seating depth. My trigger finger was pretty much frozen by the time I was done and I know that affected it a little bit since I never really knew when the trigger was going to go off. I can't wait to try a little bit more load development with a few more powders, but I would really like to try to get the 25 grain VMAXs shooting really well.

Oh good going! You have officially been bug bit now.

My 527 .17 Remington just loved 23.5 to 24 grains of Varget and the CCI BR4 primer when using either the 20 or 25 grain Vmax. Hundreds and hundreds of ground squirrels and many dozen prairie dogs went to pasture poodle heaven with those loads. My Lilja barrelled Rem 700 really likes the Varget load too. IMR 8208 works well too but for some reason my guns just really like Varget. You should give it a try.

Haha, yep, I'm already itching to shoot it tomorrow. The suns coming out here in Nebraska so the prairie dogs will be out too! I will try Varget. I was actually just going through my manual and seeing what powder to try for those 25 Vmaxs and like a ton of bricks it hit me..... Varget.

Thanks for the information!

The other thing I wondered, is should I try using small magnum primers? The Br primers are a little pricey for just shooting pdogs. I have CCI magnum primers I could try.

The .17 Remington is a fun cartridge in my CZ 527. Wonderfully accurate, mild recoil and drops coyotes right then and there.

You are going to love this new CZ. Those are not bad groups for a cold and windy day. You will do better once conditions are better and after a bit of experimenting.

Originally Posted By: Acronin

The other thing I wondered, is should I try using small magnum primers? The Br primers are a little pricey for just shooting pdogs. I have CCI magnum primers I could try.

Sure- try those mag primers. They might work great.

All I know is that my .17 Rem is fussy about primers. I sure wish that it shot any SR primers as well as the BR cap but alas it does not. I never got the groups with any other primers that I get with the BR4 so I suck it up and pay the extra coin.

Of course, your results may differ.

Primer are usually the last thing I tinker with. Sometimes if I get an ok group, but want to see if it will tighten up and I already messed with seating depth, I'll try a different primer. I know what you mean, though, my 6.5 Creedmoor will always shoot better wit the BR primers. So, like you, I suck it up!

Thanks fellas.

Back