6WOA- 6X6.8 Differences.

Sledge

I've noticed that there are a lot of guys running the 6x6.8 and not the 6WOA. Just wondering about the differences between the 2. I know it can't be much.

Thanks,
Steve.

Originally Posted By: SledgeI've noticed that there are a lot of guys running the 6x6.8 and not the 6WOA. Just wondering about the differences between the 2. I know it can't be much.

Thanks,
Steve.

The WOA bumps the shoulder back and uses a 30 degree vs the 6X6.8 the only sizes the neck retaining the original 23 degree shoulder. The case volume is only slightly less on the WOA. The 6X6.8 is formed up with the one step dies or the standard 6.8 bushing dies that many of us have and can use for all the 6.8 variants that retain the standard shoulder angle and height like the 22, 6MM, 25 and 6.5 versions.

Fire forming is needed for 100% capacity usage on the WOA though the formed cases shoot perfectly well and will perform without any issues. No trimming is done on either case.

Greg

Why would they bump the shoulder back then form to 30 degrees instead of just using a 30 on a 6.8?

I've been looking at 6x6.8 really closely but I'm flat broke right now after my first winter working for myself. The 6x6.8 would be all I need but I keep thinking it would be fun(or not) to play around with an Ackley chambered AR. A 6x6.8 or 6LBC with a 30 or 35 degree shoulder would be perfect. The custom reamer and dies would never be worth it to me but I keep thinking about it.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerWhy would they bump the shoulder back then form to 30 degrees instead of just using a 30 on a 6.8?

I've been looking at 6x6.8 really closely but I'm flat broke right now after my first winter working for myself. The 6x6.8 would be all I need but I keep thinking it would be fun(or not) to play around with an Ackley chambered AR. A 6x6.8 or 6LBC with a 30 or 35 degree shoulder would be perfect. The custom reamer and dies would never be worth it to me but I keep thinking about it.

They would have to fire form a 30 on a 6.8 case unless they used hydraulics that are a PITA. The bumped back shoulder gives them a longer neck that some guys equate with increased accuracy. Don't tell the 300 Win Mag boys though..LOL

The 6 DTI has a 30 degree shoulder with a slight movement of the shoulder forward. Extra case capacity is a minimal gain over a 6X6.8. It needs to be fired to be filled out but does a good job while that chore is performed.

The 243 LBC has a 30 degree shoulder as do all the Grendel variants that Ritch has designed from 30 up to 30.

Greg

Greg, I was hoping you would respond. I have three 6WOA's. 2 are 22" and 1 is a 16". I shoot the 65 VMAX in the 22" barrels over 30.5 grains of Benchmark at 3400 fps. I've noticed that most run 8208 out of their 6x6.8's with pretty much the same grain of powder but the speed seams to be a bit slower. This is why I asked about the differences. I thought the 6WOA had less capacity.

Last edited:
Most guys are shooting the 58 st around 3450 or so. The 8208 is so accurate in most of the barrels the load development is pretty short. I shoot a lot of 87's in 500 yard matches. I use RL15 in those. I also like the 70 TNT Speers. I need to do some more Benchmark as it is an excellent powder for this capacity case.

Greg

The 58's are more accurate than they should be out of my rifles too, I just prefer how the 65's perform on coyotes. I'll probably load up some 8208 this spring just for curiosity's sake.

Thanks Greg.

When I wanted to build a 6mm off the 6.8 case I took some time to see what the differences were between the 2 and settled on the 6x6.8 since I did not have to fireform and dies were available basically over the counter, nothing custom. Yes and it loves the 55/58/65/90/95g bullets!
Very happy with my 6x6.8 that my .243 is regulated to loaner/backup.

Originally Posted By: SledgeGreg, I was hoping you would respond. I have three 6WOA's. 2 are 22" and 1 is a 16". I shoot the 65 VMAX in the 22" barrels over 30.5 grains of Benchmark at 3400 fps. I've noticed that most run 8208 out of their 6x6.8's with pretty much the same grain of powder but the speed seams to be a bit slower. This is why I asked about the differences. I thought the 6WOA had less capacity.

If you want more speed out of the 6x68 use 335 instead of 8208. just as accurate and a little faster. Case life might be a little shorter with 335.

The 65's at 3400 are killing machines. I had loaded some 58's to use at night to gain a little speed but they weren't performing as well. They were passing thru and leaving a small exit and the dogs would go 30-50 yards before dying. The 65's just put them down and never exit. They look like they died of natural causes.
The case on the left has been reloaded 7 times. The case on the right was just necked down. 1 pass thru the full length sizer.

wE8klON.jpg

Originally Posted By: GGirlWhen I wanted to build a 6mm off the 6.8 case I took some time to see what the differences were between the 2 and settled on the 6x6.8 since I did not have to fireform and dies were available basically over the counter, nothing custom. Yes and it loves the 55/58/65/90/95g bullets!
Very happy with my 6x6.8 that my .243 is regulated to loaner/backup.

GGirl, you know member Ivet or 5spd ? They both have 6x6.8s and have a loaner/backup 243 !

WOW !
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: reddog964Ivet 5spd is GGirl ???
wink.gif

Here I thought I was the only one who caught on. Lol.

Both alias were registered 5 days apart....

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorOriginally Posted By: reddog964Ivet 5spd is GGirl ???
wink.gif

Here I thought I was the only one who caught on. Lol.

Both alias were registered 5 days apart....

LOL. I did notice some similarities.

Greg

Originally Posted By: Kino MSo what speeds could a person expect with the 95gr SMK from an 18" barrel in 6x6.8 in an AR??

They can't be shot from a magazine but in a 24" LOADED LONG you will see 2900 or so.

The 243 LBC is much better for that bullet.

Greg

Last edited:
Back