Night time tripod users

CSM52

Any reviews on the kopfjager tripods and theit gun grip mounts. Switching to a tripod setup and need some options.

They just sell the tripod but the ones they sale extended with three legs and then a single pole to make it standing height. Would the single pole be sturdy enough is my concern

Originally Posted By: CSM52Any reviews on the kopfjager tripods and theit gun grip mounts. Switching to a tripod setup and need some options.

In no way, shape, or form do I think their mount is worth $300+. It's better than shooting sticks, but not much better, and way freaking heavier once you add a tripod. It is also useless for sighting in a rifle using the method where you shoot a group, then lock the crosshairs at the bullseye and walk the turret over to the group's center. I was really hoping it would be able to accomplish that. Just my opinion though.

Originally Posted By: GotEmOriginally Posted By: CSM52Any reviews on the kopfjager tripods and theit gun grip mounts. Switching to a tripod setup and need some options.

In no way, shape, or form do I think their mount is worth $300+. It's better than shooting sticks, but not much better, and way freaking heavier once you add a tripod. It is also useless for sighting in a rifle using the method where you shoot a group, then lock the crosshairs at the bullseye and walk the turret over to the group's center. I was really hoping it would be able to accomplish that. Just my opinion though.

I agree with this and there are a lot of tripod options out there that will accomplish all of the above for around the $300 mark.

Last edited:
Does the bogpod have full range of motion though? Up and down is what I'm asking..

I'm not stuck on any setup, im wanting opnions.

CSM2....Not trying to hijack your thread but don't want to start a new one either but I got some specific questions, it may help us both.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...rue#Post3044590

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...rue#Post3031532

I've been following a few of these tripod threads and I'd like to hear what is better about this system.

I currently run a trigger stick bipod and I can see where a tripod could be an improvement. My son just bought the trigger stick tripod, I'll give that a try and see if there's an improvement.

For those running these tripods what makes them all that?

Is it the tripod, the mount, the ball head or the combination of all three?

I see Kopfager uses SLIK tripods at about $100 bucks. Really Right Stuff tripods are upwards of $1000. There's huge selection of tripods between $100-$1000.

Then there's the ball head, is this what makes or breaks these setups, I'd have to think the friction involved helps stabilize the shot. I've seen them from $50 to $300.

Originally Posted By: GotEmIn no way, shape, or form do I think their mount is worth $300+.

As far as the mounts... I'd have to agree with GotEm on any of the mounts I've seen. I could easily fabricate something to attach to my AR with the appropriate fitting to tie into any of the quick release ball heads. Wouldn't be interchangeable between guns but for less $300 I could put one on every gun I own.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pmackCSM2....Not trying to hijack your thread but don't want to start a new one either but I got some specific questions, it may help us both.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...rue#Post3044590

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...rue#Post3031532

I've been following a few of these tripod threads and I'd like to hear what is better about this system.

I currently run a trigger stick bipod and I can see where a tripod could be an improvement. My son just bought the trigger stick tripod, I'll give that a try and see if there's an improvement.

For those running these tripods what makes them all that?

Is it the tripod, the mount, the ball head or the combination of all three?

I see Kopfager uses SLIK tripods at about $100 bucks. Really Right Stuff tripods are upwards of $1000. There's huge selection of tripods between $100-$1000.

Then there's the ball head, is this what makes or breaks these setups, I'd have to think the friction involved helps stabilize the shot. I've seen them from $50 to $300.

Originally Posted By: GotEmIn no way, shape, or form do I think their mount is worth $300+.

As far as the mounts... I'd have to agree with GotEm on any of the mounts I've seen. I could easily fabricate something to attach to my AR with the appropriate fitting to tie into any of the quick release ball heads. Wouldn't be interchangeable between guns but for less $300 I could put one on every gun I own.

I'll tell you what I think about my Manfrotto tripod/ballhead/Pig Saddle set up. I like it. A lot. It is rock solid. The best thing about it is that once I clamp the rifle in I can step away from it and not worry about it. I can concentrate on scanning. When I see a target all I have to do is step back up to the rifle and swivel it into position. Due to arthritis I sit a lot with a bipod, but the tripod is so much more versatile by giving a more elevated view and the ability to easily swivel 360 degrees.
The secret to the system is the whole of all of the parts. You can't skimp on any one part. Get a good solid tripod, a good ballhead, and a good rifle clamp and I think you'll like this system.

Originally Posted By: weekenderWhat model is your ballhead 1trkyhntr?

Manfrotto MHXPRO-BHQ2 XPRO. It is rated for 22lbs.
There are lots of good ballheads available, I caught this one, used, on sale for $97.00.

Loggers Inn I like that mount setup, a complete different way from what I was thinking, is it homemade?

1trkyhntr can't argue with your success, once you set the tension (if that's the right term) on the ballhead do you never touch it again while hunting?

It's a Manfrotto grip. It has an American Defence qd attaching to my bottom rail. The aluminum block was made by Spartan1. It sews the qd plate from the grip and the American defense qd together

Trkyhntr I've have the same set up on my other rig. At first I only thought they made the grip...so I bought it. Then was shopping around mhxpro-bhq2, so I bought it for my other rig. I like it better than my grip

Originally Posted By: CSM52Which ones are you talking about? 300 dollar mark

I run a Desmond carbon fiber tripod that is rated for I believe 40#. I also run a leveling head that is fluid filled to "stiffen" the movement. The tension of the leveling head can be adjusted from full lock to nothing at all. Along with an Arca Swiss adapter and everything I need to attach to my AR, I have under $300 in it. Very solid setup. There's no doubt better stuff out there but there always is. I'd say my setup weighs under 6#.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pmackLoggers Inn I like that mount setup, a complete different way from what I was thinking, is it homemade?

1trkyhntr can't argue with your success, once you set the tension (if that's the right term) on the ballhead do you never touch it again while hunting?

Unless you switch to a different rifle, once you set the tension to your liking you should never have touch it again. I have not had to readjust mine unless somebody fiddles with it.

Back