.458/.459

Redcloud

Just got a 1885 High Wall 45-70 and looking to get a inexpensive target load worked up. Missouri Bullet Co. has a coated 300gr bullet called the #2 Buff which .459 dia. wondering why its not .458 and if its ok to shoot in my rifle. Maybe because its lead is why its .459?

RC, I also shoot a 45/70. Mine is a Marlin 1895 Cowboy. I shoot a .460 diameter bullet with great accuracy. Manufacturers make them in several diameters for this purpose. It will not harm your rifle. I'm talking cast lead here not jacketed! Have you been to the www.beartoothbullets.com website? It has a lot of information and they will help you out. Great folks.

Nice, which one did you get, my C Sharps High Wall with Badger barrel slugged out at .458 but I shot it with bullets right out of the mold at .460 with 30-1 alloy along with my Shilo Sharps 45/70, I usually go about .002 over with cast bullets.
The .459 will shoot just fine usually with cast bullets .001-.002 over is better than undersized

Originally Posted By: Rich44Nice, which one did you get, my C Sharps High Wall with Badger barrel slugged out at .458 but I shot it with bullets right out of the mold at .460 with 30-1 alloy along with my Shilo Sharps 45/70, I usually go about .002 over with cast bullets.
The .459 will shoot just fine usually with cast bullets .001-.002 over is better than undersized
It was made in 1985 first year production,straight grip-28 inch octagon brl,very pretty gun can't to get it to the range. I put a Leupold vxll 1-4x on it.

Slug your barrel and then shoot .001 to .002 over size in lead boolits. Castboolits is a good site for info.

Sounds like a great gun, have fun and enjoy shooting lead through it. I have guns that are only fed lead...

Back