F.A.I.C. for Illinois

Mark204

Yesterday I went to Academy Sports to get some .204 bullets and the lady at the register asked for some ID.

I asked her why........its only bullets and I'm 57 I thought to myself.

She wanted to see if I lived in Illinois or Missouri.....I do live in Missouri and I was shopping in Missouri.....30 miles into the state. I wasn't pleased, because I'm not big on showing ID to anyone unless it LE or a prescription pickup, things of that nature.

So, my question is more for the guys who live across the river, I understand you do need the card for a firearm or manufactured ammo, but, do you need it for primers, powders, bullets and cases?

From what I found on line the answer is NO statewide, but an individual county may have a law in their jurisdiction.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Here Kitty Kitty

Why wouldn't someone from another state be allowed to buy bullets, or even ammunition?

it's a legal item, why not do the same to smokes, gas (cause we all know that more people are killed every year in car accidents) or liquor (you might drive drunk)

It's laws like this that should wake people in those states up and see they are not fixing but adding to the problems.

Originally Posted By: Mark204I do live in Missouri and I was shopping in Missouri.....30 miles into the state. I wasn't pleased, because I'm not big on showing ID to anyone unless it LE or a prescription pickup, things of that nature.

missouri is the show me state. show it and be happy. lol

We have to show foid here in Illinois to buy any ammunition and firearms. Reloading components normally don't. But the way I understand is the municipality can override certain criteria with there restrictions. Example parts of Chicago still will not let you have a handgun or conceal permit the way I understand. It took a federaljudge to overturn and allow Illinois a conceal state, but not many places we can conceal if you look real close. I do however have to register my foid card with online stores to have ammo sent to me from another state

I got told In Illinois that I couldn't buy beer with an out of state drivers license! After a talk with the manager I left with the beer but dang, what a place.

What's really messed up is that a lot of stores here in IL won't sell ammo to out-of-staters. I believe its more a matter of store policy than state law, insofar as the law isn't particularly clear, so vendors tend to adopt a CYA type store policy. So...if you come here to hunt, make sure you bring plenty of ammo from home. I mean, its not like our state is broke and needs to attract any business to help raise tax revenue or stimulate the local economy...

Wait a bit, yes I've bought ammo in IL WITHOUT a FOID card. I just need to show a WI driver's license. There may be a few shops who wouldn't want to sell but I think most would do so very legally.

What if an out of Stater was in IL on a duck hunt? Some of the border stores will asked, like the Cabelas in Indiana. If you are an IL resident right on the border in another State, they may want the FOID card.

If that same IL resident is in Northern WI on a grouse hunt, nobody will be asking about a card.

It's not just ammo, primers, bullets, about anything ammo related. It's the same if you ever want to handle a firearm too, at the gun store. I may look but I seldom buy anything in IL.

Originally Posted By: muskrat30 Wait a bit, yes I've bought ammo in IL WITHOUT a FOID card. I just need to show a WI driver's license. There may be a few shops who wouldn't want to sell but I think most would do so very legally.

What if an out of Stater was in IL on a duck hunt? Some of the border stores will asked, like the Cabelas in Indiana. If you are an IL resident right on the border in another State, they may want the FOID card.

If that same IL resident is in Northern WI on a grouse hunt, nobody will be asking about a card.

It's not just ammo, primers, bullets, about anything ammo related. It's the same if you ever want to handle a firearm too, at the gun store. I may look but I seldom buy anything in IL.

And that sir is how are upper state government works, drive out revenue let it go to bordering state. You guys gotta love the ? State

WOW.. that is something.. With as Many FIBs as we have here in the winter, it would be interesting if the State of AZ reciprocated that treatment upon those from the state of IL.

thankfully they leave in April.

The idea of a "card" to purchase a gun or ammo for "public safety" is ridicules and doesn't work.

Look at how many shootings there were in Chicago last year................................

Here Kitty Kitty

Last edited:
https://www.ispfsb.com/public/FOID.aspx

i was trying to read about this card, if you are looking for information it's called a FOID card.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOID_(firearms)

after reading about the card, what's the point? Other than trying to ensure they have a state wide registry of who is buying guns and ammo?

You still have to do the check for when you buy a gun, so there really isn't a point to the card.

It's just another way the state has used to get extra money in their pocket. I'm not sure when they started it but I think I got my first one back in the 70's I had to have it to hunt by myself if I got checked by the game warden but I wasn't old enough to buy ammo Mom and Dad had to do that for me. Plus its the same with our habitat stamp your hunting license is pretty well useless unless you got it along with it.
Our latest cash getter for my state was our first bobcat trapping/hunting season. It cost you 5 bucks to put your name in the hat for a chance on one of the 500 permits. I think the state had over 6500 applicants. Lord know where all that went to. I like to think it would go back into our DNR but I doubt it
J

I had quite an ordeal buying primers in the Hoffman Estates Cabelas as an Indiana resident a few years back. Took about 8 employees to determine whether they could sell them to me or not.

No matter how much they collect, they're so broke they can't afford to pay attention. I lived in Chicago for 42 years. Moved 75 mi N of Chicago and lived there until I was 59. I finally escaped. Been in MO since June of '15. Happiest time of my life.

It has always been my fear they will slow down reissuing FOID cards by design or by incompetence. You cannot legally possess a gun without one . So anti gunners could send cops to get guns. Amazing how Antiguan people want to take guns and gun privileges from the law abiding. Yet they can't seem to get the guns away from the CHICAGO gang bangers who don't have a FOID

Originally Posted By: ilmoIt has always been my fear they will slow down reissuing FOID cards by design or by incompetence. You cannot legally possess a gun without one . So anti gunners could send cops to get guns. Amazing how Anti-gun people want to take guns and gun privileges from the law abiding. Yet they can't seem to get the guns away from the CHICAGO gang bangers who don't have a FOID

They have very little interest in disarming gang bangers - it makes a great excuse for gun control.
It is not about crime, it is about control.

Dont get me wrong, I detest the idea of the FOID card. However, lets remember, many if not all of you are showing your Drivers License when you purchase a firearm. So there really is not much difference. Lets remember also, this card does not register particular guns, it registers the holder as a gun owner....... So does the 4473. Dont like that much for sure.

The FOID is typical Ill law for money........

Just my comments

Back