Lapua brass sorting?

Brass? Never messed with that one bit.

I think if people spent more time practicing shooting at distance, rather than thinking of new ways to mind [beeep] it. It would pay off. IMO certain things just aren't worth it. Run quality components with a load that shoots well and run it.

I find it to be very important to sort Lapua brass, both for consistency, and the psychological effect it has on the shooter's self confidence.

When I get new Lapua brass, I lay out my work space like this.

On the right, I put an 8x11 piece of GREEN paper marked GOOD BRASS.

On the Left, I do the same, but it is RED and says, BADD BRASS.

In the middle, I put my Dillon Eliminator digital scale - I "Zero" the scale.

Then I take the box of new Lapua brass, and cut the seals.

Then I pour the brass on the green paper - put away the scale, and go load it.

This makes me feel sooooo scientific like, and my confidence is high!!!!

What happens if they brass rolls off the green paper?

Using new 223 lapua brass i found out i really need to shoot it all once and then go back and neck size it to get all the good out of it.
Groups shrank alot goin that route. Now that its all been shot twice i plan on weigh sorting it. Got a 600 yard match in 2 weeks and got to get to work.

I'm not sure weight sorting brass really does much of anything, regardless of the brand. I think if you really want to sort your brass you'll do it by measuring the internal volume with water.

Originally Posted By: B23I'm not sure weight sorting brass really does much of anything, regardless of the brand. I think if you really want to sort your brass you'll do it by measuring the internal volume with water.

This is basically what the end result is looking for. Case capacity needs to be the same if you are looking for shot to shot consistancy. Weighing brass is just easier. And yes, you can find a few cases that are lighter or heavier in a 100 piece box of Lapua. Other makers of brass are much worse. It all depends on what kind of shooting you are doing and what accuracy levels you want. Brass lasts a long time if treated right, take that out of the equation.

Nosler brass I have weighed is the most consistent as they must sort them by weight. Doesn't mean it's best brass as the next box may weigh totally different. Also as noted that doesn't mean it's external or internal dimensions are that consistent either. In fact I have found brass new unfired brass that all weighed the same BUT a good percentage would not fit in a tight match chamber.

If you want to get that precise you should first fire form the brass with max loads and it may take more than one firing to do it properly. Once you have good fire formed brass, neck it. trim it again if needed to assure it is all the same exact length. At this point you can then sort it by weight and be assured it is indeed the same weight and capacity. Also if you're "neck turning" you need to neck turn before sorting by weight.

I buy Lapua and/or Norma so I don't need to sort, uniform or debur. And those cases are mostly used for load devolopment. Unless you're competing in a bench rest match, I'm not sure it's worth the time spent. Just my opinion. And to be fair, I've certainly done my fair share of anal case prep work...LOL

Back