.22 nosler

Well to start with I think the 18" barrel completely defeats the purpose of the cartridge in the first place. Aren't we looking for all the velocity we can get in an AR action here? And next, I don't have one so I can't beat on the stoner barrel, but my experience is that in most things, you get what you pay for. I would have to say the exception to that is in my savage model 25 in .204. Cheap gun with and excellent trigger and a barrel that is a real tack driver. Anyway, the stoner barrel didn't interest me at all. We'll see how you do when you get your BHW rig up and shooting, but from what I see here, I lost interest in a 22 nosler in 2 nights of
reading.

I just cleaned my 22 Nosler getting ready for Friday. This is fifty shots down the tube at very pedestrian speeds in the 223 range. Using Gunslick at least I didn't have to scrub much. It took two good soaks to get it all out as the third batch was pristine.

Iqcymii.jpg

I did my 22X.8 with about 100 rounds down the tube with 50's at 3750 and had a trace of copper.

Greg

Originally Posted By: hiwaymanWell to start with I think the 18" barrel completely defeats the purpose of the cartridge in the first place. Aren't we looking for all the velocity we can get in an AR action here? And next, I don't have one so I can't beat on the stoner barrel, but my experience is that in most things, you get what you pay for. I would have to say the exception to that is in my savage model 25 in .204. Cheap gun with and excellent trigger and a barrel that is a real tack driver. Anyway, the stoner barrel didn't interest me at all. We'll see how you do when you get your BHW rig up and shooting, but from what I see here, I lost interest in a 22 nosler in 2 nights of
reading.

I don't sell barrels and therefore don't care what anyone buys or doesn't buy. But, all of these $100 barrels aren't dogs. Here is my last 200 yd gp from mine. The last 7 shots from a box of 50 gr zmax at 3420 fps. Measures 1.5". And I don't see much copper out of mine. Certainly not an unreasonable amount. I'm happy with mine, with the suppressor the 18" barrel is still very managable and handy, and outperforms a 223 with the same length barrel. Brass is $.50 each and go 10+ loads with my load. I don't understand all the hate for a round that I've seen on here and other sites. Not directed at you Hiwayman. It reminds me of the old Grendel vs 6.8 cyber wars that were pointless also.

200 yds:

FWIW I've ended up with some worse shooters that cost 2 to 3 times as much from some well known makers that are highly thought of on here...

Thanks for the post 204AR. Over the years I've also had good barrels and bad barrels and the price didn't always have anything to do with it. Savage barrels being a good example. That said, I've never had a bad barrel made by Lilja or Shaw!!!
Gold dust is my favorite powder in my 204. Looks like it's working for you in the Nosler also.

Gold dust, never heard that one before but it is a good description! 8208 is what I start with now and usually have to look no further. Found a load for my new 204 RAP with 35 bergers with it as well.

Also, I've chatted with Mike at D-tech and he's geared up for the Nosler also. He flat told me it should edge out his 22 DTI. I feel like it will catch on big but who knows for sure. I know one thing, I seem to be the dissenting opinion on here about it lol. Maybe I got the only decent barrel haha. I think it's going to kill some coyotes this year.

That's what my best 100 yards groups look like after about 160 rounds of 7 or 8 different bullets and some different powders. Mine doesn't copper foul at all.

Last edited:
There are a bunch of us in the 204 ruger room on FB. that have found that the 204 load to beat is 8208 powder and 39 gr. sierra blitz kings. we started calling it gold dust LOL. It is good in my 223 also, but won't beat H 4895 for groups size.

Anyone still shooting the 22 nosler?? I built one with a 20 inch wilson combat ss fluted barrel and its an absolute tack driver and laser with the nosler 55 grain ballistic tips!

Originally Posted By: Nosler531Anyone still shooting the 22 nosler?? I built one with a 20 inch wilson combat ss fluted barrel and its an absolute tack driver and laser with the nosler 55 grain ballistic tips!

Yes, still shooting mine! 22” white oak armament, and also 55 BTs. I really love it, unfortunately it sees more duty on groundhogs than it does coyotes.

I've got one with a 20" WOA barrel. It shoots really well. To be fair, all my WOA barrels are accurate. I shoot 55 VMax and 77 grain Hornadys. Brass life is the only thing I wish was a bit better. The rebated rim chews up brass.

Back