Ohio coyotes on public land

Galen

This past weekend we hit 3 public land sets and managed to put down coyotes on two of the set's!

One big old male and a young female

This last picture kind of displays the size difference!

Thanks West.Mass.Hunter & weekender, I appreciate it!
Its definitely not the easiest thing to do here in Ohio but when it happens its a rush !

Congrats. I used to have decent luck on public land around here. Now a days I don't spend as much time trying. Got tired of the state, in all of its wisdom, putting walking trails and bike paths through all of the hunting areas. Plus everyone and their brother is a coyote hunter around here. Everything gets called to death.

Smokin250 it definitely is not the easiest thing to do here in Ohio ! All of the land that is available to the public is hunted hard but usually not hunted smart

And Niteyote1 we were using a NV scope to scan with & turning on the red lights when we wanted to take the shot

Congrats! I Bowhunt public in eastern and southeastern Ohio. I think I see just as many coyotes as I see deer. They got to negatively effecting the deer herd.

I hunt in east central Ohio in Harrison / Carroll / Guernsey counties. It is one of the most challenging animals to hunt, the eastern coyote. You can't just go out and play rabbit and they come running, at least not in my areas. I hunt private and public land.

Originally Posted By: swampwalkerCongrats! I Bowhunt public in eastern and southeastern Ohio. I think I see just as many coyotes as I see deer. They got to negatively effecting the deer herd.

My uncle owns a 350 acre farm in Harrison County. We have counted as many as 10, yes 10, coyotes in one field during the late summer.

Originally Posted By: R. TokerI hunt in east central Ohio in Harrison / Carroll / Guernsey counties. It is one of the most challenging animals to hunt, the eastern coyote. You can't just go out and play rabbit and they come running, at least not in my areas. I hunt private and public land.

Definitely does seem to be the case in most instances.. Takes a little bit of coaxing to get one within range.. But it is not impossible to do so that's why we keep after them
smile.gif

I like to use the male howl, female yodel, canine pups 2 as much as any other sounds. bay bee cottontail thrown in there for good measure.

Yes, We have had most of our success using howls like you described.... Usually throw in some distress calls but honestly I have almost 0 faith in my distress sounds anymore .. Most of the coyotes we see & kill are coming into howls!

Usually a few howls and allot of silence goes a long way for us!

Galen what nv scope are you using to scan with?

I recently went thermal with a scanner and a night vision rifle scope and have upped my kills a good bit. Southeastern Ohio - Guernsey, Noble, Harrison counties.

Originally Posted By: jake243taxGalen what nv scope are you using to scan with?

I recently went thermal with a scanner and a night vision rifle scope and have upped my kills a good bit. Southeastern Ohio - Guernsey, Noble, Harrison counties.

Its is an extremely outdated 1st gen scope that we picked up at an army surplus store for a cheap price, slapped a bright IR light on it.. So yeah we desperately need an upgrade
tongue_smilie.gif

Originally Posted By: jake243taxGalen what nv scope are you using to scan with?

You're in my neck of the woods. I hunt Harrison Guernsey and Carroll counties.

Back