How important is camouflage to you?

seasley

Guys, just asking a simple question on how important camouflage is to you when your hunting?

The reason why I'm asking is I have been wearing just carhart bibs with a camo top and still killing coyotes and cats like I always have

Last edited:
Sitting still is a lot more important than any camo pattern. The only thing I really consider important to cover is my face and hands.

Originally Posted By: seasleyGuys, just asking a simple question on how important camouflage is to you when your hunting?

The reason why I'm asking is I have been wearing just carhart bibs with a camo top and still killing coyotes and cats like I always have

think you answered you own question.

Camo is very important for many reasons. Every purchase helps the economy.
Using the army theory, the budget will have more flexibility.
You'll look professional when you head out into the field.
Poor hunters will pass you by on stand.
The Scent lok type will hide your smell.
Modern camo has many hunting related features and comfortable.
Cargo pockets are great and even better on top or front of legs.
Weather tight stuff is nice.
These are all key factors that don't matter much when I'm shooting from the drivers seat of a shiny truck but it makes me feel good killing a pile of coyotes while wearing the best camo.

I bought a few white turtleneck shirts and a white stocking cap that covers my face for snowy hunts. Don't worry too much about my pants. I read an article years ago that showed the color spectrum for canines. It said or indicated that blue to a dog shows up like blaze orange to us. So, for whatever that is worth, I usually don't wear bluejeans.

Like others have said, I cover face and hands (plus the usual others) then set still.
Have had deer walk up to me, stair & size up the situation, not until maybe 10 feet do they get alarmed.

Maybe JCS271 could add his perspective here, think he likes to hide in cover, sit still, and not big on camo colors ??
Look up his awesome hunter of the month wolf kills, at least one was with a bow !!!

On the color issue, there have been some good studies on yote eye response, like: yote eyes
that article is a bunch of pages back from the start.

from that article, my take is:
Yotes only discern yellow and blue color differences.
Green has equal intensity response as Y or B but it shows to them as shaded of grey to white.
Humans see a spectrum of ROYGBIV while yotes see only YYYWBBB
(Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet & White for yotes)

The yote sensitivity is six time greater in their limited spectrum vs humans.
The yote clarity is worse, ie yotes need to be 75% closer for positive ID vs humans.
Yotes are especially sensitive to small movements, think rodents..

coyotes will see your white face and white hands, FAST from reflecting sun light.

However, there is nothing that will beat hunting in an area with a high density population as 60% of those that you kill are this or last year's yearlings.

I often wear a face mask and gloves as they give me some flexibility in movement without detection.
One time someone dropped me off at a spot without my wheelchair and I scooted against a large rock when I realized the face net and gloves were in the vehicle.
After calling a coyote in to 20 ft he stared me down for what seemed like eternity, then turned to walk off when I dropped him.

I wear plain pants that kinda match the ground color, and a fleece jacket or a light leafy jacket if warmer. I try to sit in shawdows or with brush around me.

Originally Posted By: tripod3...
One time someone dropped me off at a spot without my wheelchair and I scooted against a large rock when I realized the face net and gloves were in the vehicle.
After calling a coyote in to 20 ft he stared me down for what seemed like eternity, then turned to walk off when I dropped him.
Very interesting & great job calling.
Bet you kept a low profile & were rock solid still on his approach !

Originally Posted By: tripod3Camo is very important for many reasons. Every purchase helps the economy.
These are all key factors that don't matter much when I'm shooting from the drivers seat of a shiny truck but it makes me feel good killing a pile of coyotes while wearing the best camo.
There are plenty of high quality non-camo outdoor clothing options that meet all your expectations. Better quality actually, and multi-use. Wearing earth tone neutral type colors works fine for camo and looks professional enough to wear out to dinner with the wife too.

The North Face, Columbia,KUIU, LL Bean, Patagonia, Marmot, Outdoor Research, Kuhl, prAna, REI, just to name a few. Even Cabela's has high quality store brand outdoor clothing in neutral colors, often in big and tall sizes too.

I still sometimes wear a camo ball cap, but I wear charcoal grey pants and a tan or sage type of shirt that blends in decently with virtually any area.

The only option not available is Scent Lok but that's of questionable effectiveness anyways for most hunters. It doesn't interest me.

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlOriginally Posted By: tripod3...
Very interesting & great job calling.
Bet you kept a low profile & were rock solid still on his approach !

Yes sitting on the ground and didn't even blink which wasn't easy while worrying about breathing might give me away.
Another lesson learned.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGOriginally Posted By: tripod3Camo is very important for many reasons. Every purchase helps the economy.
There are plenty of high quality non-camo outdoor clothing options that meet all your expectations. Better quality actually, and multi-use. Wearing earth tone neutral type colors works fine for camo and looks professional enough to wear out to dinner with the wife too.

The North Face, Columbia,KUIU, LL Bean, Patagonia, Marmot, Outdoor Research, Kuhl, prAna, REI, just to name a few. Even Cabela's has high quality store brand outdoor clothing in neutral colors, often in big and tall sizes too.

I still sometimes wear a camo ball cap, but I wear charcoal grey pants and a tan or sage type of shirt that blends in decently with virtually any area.

The only option not available is Scent Lok but that's of questionable effectiveness anyways for most hunters. It doesn't interest me.
Yeah I was half way kidding. What I really need is some seat cover material to match the seats so it looks like nobody is in there even though they can smell the truck and everything in it.

Originally Posted By: cmatera Sitting still is a lot more important than any camo pattern. The only thing I really consider important to cover is my face and hands.

I agree.Especially with a hand call cuz your hands are constantly moving.

I just stick to earth tone clothing and call it good.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGOriginally Posted By: tripod3

I totally agree, I usually just wear neutral earth tones around town and when hunting. As long as the wind is good and you are not moving, you will be fine. In my humble opinion, people spend WAAAAAY to much time over thinking camo clothing. My last wolf was taken facing me at 12 yards in light rain. I was sitting still, wearing an oilskin outback hat, charcoal gray weatherproof Mammut pants from REI (sale $45) and a lightweight olive drab wind/waterproof jacket from Costco ($20). I was comfy, dry and VERY successful!

I like keeping my hands bare and whitey-white. Sometimes when you have a coyote hung up around the 400 mark, a little bare-hand finger wave will break them loose.

Likewise, I have a friend that hunts a lot of really open ground (it's his job) and he calls prone a lot. He showed me the "boot trick". Same deal, coyote(s) hung up, lifts one of his feet (boot) in the air and wiggles it, coyote(s) break loose and come in.

Most extreme example I have ever seen, we had a coyote that I'd been playing with for over half an hour already (camera only, no gun). She had left, then I had called her back a few times already. This last time, didn't seem like any sound I could toss out there was going to bring her back. My buddy takes off his black Stetson and start's waving it up and down and fluttering it while I played some raven sound on the Foxpro. Brought her right back to us yet again. Took this pic:

IMG_4403%20W.JPG

I'm convinced, based on my experiences, that coyotes pick up movement really well, but over all, they don't actually seem to see all that great, on average. And, like so many other aspects of coyote hunting in general, I go completely opposite what I read on the internet and find that frequently, letting them see some movement, on purpose, helps, rather than hurts.

- DAA

Back