Thoughts on 338 Federal

greengt88

Looking at purchasing a Savage 11 Hog Hunter in 338 Federal for a low recoil, hi power hog rifle.
Any pro's or cons to this caliber and rifle?
Looking to hunt boar 400-500lbs with it.

Originally Posted By: greengt88Looking to hunt boar 400-500lbs with it.

I am curious to know where you will be hunting 500 lb boars. Asian Boars in Turkey???

It's an awesome round and very versatile.Can't see any reason it shouldn't work great for you.
However, if you are ever thinking about getting a suppressor, then a 308 might be a better option for you. Also, most thermals are rated for 308 recoil, not sure if 338 fed is considered equivalent for warranty purposes.

Last edited:
I would go with a 308, it will handle anything you will run across with proper shot placement. Been Hunting Hogs well over fifty(50) years, killed them with about anything you can think of except a Sling Shot(did shoot a few of them in the A$$ with one when I was a Kid chasing them out of our peanuts and corn fields).

Go with a 308 you will not be disappointed!!!!!!

Im doing a hunt on a preserve this fall in Tennessee...i had considered a .308, so i looked at rifles in that caliber, and then noticed the 338 in Savages Hog Hunter line...looks Ballistically superior to a 30-06, and recoil isnt too shabby. Supposed to have power of a 7mm Rem Mag.
I just dont want to go under gunned and end up having to pay for an animal i dont recover. Ive seen the mounts of these hogs in person they are no joke.

Last edited:
I got the wife a .338 Federal a few years ago. So far she and the eldest have used to great effect on three elk with factory 185 grain ammo. Based on that somewhat limited experience, I would say it'd work great on hogs, even large ones, at reasonable hunting ranges. I don't know that I'd equate it with a 7mm mag, but it's pretty stout and gets the job done.

Good to know, ive done a fair amount of reading on the caliber now, and it seems to do quite well on elk...bear is not out of the question either, we have some nice sized black bears here in PA.
So i think it would make a great caliber for that as well.

I agree. I think it'd work very well for black bears. If you don't need the power (or want the recoil) of the larger .338s, then the Federal version is a good option to fire relatively large diameter bullets for good performance on most North American big game at reasonable hunting ranges.

Went to the site you recommended. Sadly they use very misleading photos. Very easy to make any animal or even fish look much larger when you place the hunter a few feet behind the critter. I'm just sayin.

I would go with .308 too, ammo everywhere and better suppressor options for sure! If you are shooting 180 grain bullets the .308 will have better sectional density. I don't think the .338 really has much on it till you get over 220 grains. I don't see much .338 federal ammo around, but maybe you reload. IMHO a .308 isn't under gunned for anything in North America but dangerous game.

I really think you should re think this option. Azmastablasta, has it right .... the pics are set up for size. I am really not a fan of this kind of situation. That being said.... .243's will kill these beasts deader than a bent nail if you shoot it well. I will tell you this much.... dont bring any of the meat from one of those beasts home. Your wife will kill you for doing so and cooking it in her kitchen. It also is just plain uneatable.

If you want to talk about this, and/or if you want pigs for eating, email me and we'll talk.

Originally Posted By: huntschoolI really think you should re think this option. Azmastablasta, has it right .... the pics are set up for size. I am really not a fan of this kind of situation. That being said.... .243's will kill these beasts deader than a bent nail if you shoot it well. I will tell you this much.... dont bring any of the meat from one of those beasts home. Your wife will kill you for doing so and cooking it in her kitchen. It also is just plain uneatable.

If you want to talk about this, and/or if you want pigs for eating, email me and we'll talk.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't want to Burst anyone's Bubble. but everything Bruce said is the Absolute Truth, and should be chiseled in Stone for all New Hog Hunters to read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be honest these are the largest boar mounts i have ever personally seen. I do agree that the photos are staged for size, but i dont think they need to be at all.
I dont have anything in PA anywhere close to what these guys have available. Nor do we have any sort of feral hog population. So i dont have a problem paying for it. Im not big on this type of hunt either but it seems my best option.
I have family that lives 20min away from the preserve so its a dual purpose trip as well.
I was not aware that these type of boar were not good to eat. That may actually be of a benefit not to have to haul meat and coolers, only coolers for head for mounting.
Huntschool I would absolutely be interested in discussing this further and other options, feel free to drop me a pm.

To be honest these are the largest boar mounts i have ever personally seen. I do agree that the photos are staged for size, but i dont think they need to be at all.
I dont have anything in PA anywhere close to what these guys have available. Nor do we have any sort of feral hog population. So i dont have a problem paying for it. Im not big on this type of hunt either but it seems my best option.
I have family that lives 20min away from the preserve so its a dual purpose trip as well.
I was not aware that these type of boar were not good to eat. That may actually be of a benefit not to have to haul meat and coolers, only coolers for head for mounting.
Huntschool I would absolutely be interested in discussing this further and other options, feel free to drop me a pm.

Back