HPBT Matchking 52 gr from a 22-250

Pruson

A friend of mine says he has a boatload of these sitting around his loading room. Asked if I thought they would work on fur without damage. I see they are a hollowpoint, but a very unusually small hollowpoint. I am a fan of Boattail bullets due to the accuracy you normally get.

Any opinions, experiences???

Originally Posted By: PrusonA friend of mine says he has a boatload of these sitting around his loading room. Asked if I thought they would work on fur without damage. I see they are a hollow point, but a very unusually small hollow point. I am a fan of Boattail bullets due to the accuracy you normally get.

Any opinions, experiences???

I shot a woodchuck at 80 yards with one out of a 222 Mag. Went right through. That was the last time I ever used them in the field.

They expand poorly or not at all on flesh, but will expand if they hit bone.

I use them on coyotes with great results. they are hard on a fox for sure but have never had a coyote get away from me when shot placement was ideal and never seen bad fur damage. ALOT of guys have used them in the 250 and swear by them

They work great on coyote and mixed results on Fox. IMO everything is hard on Fox in 22cal!

That 52 SMK was my goto bullet in the 22/250 after seeing so many splash wounds with the 50Vmax.

I've killed several critters with the new 53Vmax with good results but it's been out of a 223.

I'm not a fan of the 250 for various reasons and one of the biggest is finding a bullet that shoots good and holds together at the 250 velocities. Most guns are 12 and 14 twist so that puts you in the 50ish grain range. I know Barnes makes some in that range but I never tried them.

shot a lot of coyotes with that bullet out of 223's and 22-250's.

the 22-250 could make a real mess, or not. just depended on where and how you hit them.

they are accurate and kill good though.

The 52gr has been one of my favorite bullets on coyotes for a long time.like anything make a bad hit and you will get some damage.

Back