22-250 vs. .243 same bolt?

I've hunted your country and know you've got some open country so I think your on the right track. Make sure you try 70gr Nos Bt's with that new barrel. Good luck !

Originally Posted By: Wa_Coyote_HunterThanks guys! I have a Savage I want to change out from 22-250 to 243. So I can just change the barrel.

Yup.

Fitch

yes you can just change the barrel and reheadspace it.unless you are going to deer hunt with it you wont gain much by going with the 243.

yes you can just change the barrel and reheadspace it.unless you are going to deer hunt with it you wont gain much by going with the 243.

It seems like lately I have gotten my clock cleaned on this forum by asking less than intelligent questions, but here goes another:

I thought the parent case for the 243 was the 308, whereas the parent case for the 22-250 was the old 250/3000 Savage. So with two different cases, will a 243 feed in a Savage that originally was a 250 without changing the follower and box? Otherwise it would have to be used as a single shot.

BTW: A follower and box for the 243/260/308 is not very expensive and are easily installed.

Originally Posted By: CalCoyoteIt seems like lately I have gotten my clock cleaned on this forum by asking less than intelligent questions, but here goes another:

I thought the parent case for the 243 was the 308, whereas the parent case for the 22-250 was the old 250/3000 Savage. So with two different cases, will a 243 feed in a Savage that originally was a 250 without changing the follower and box? Otherwise it would have to be used as a single shot.

BTW: A follower and box for the 243/260/308 is not very expensive and are easily installed.

From my experience, no there is no need to switch out the
follower...I am not sure there is even a choice in followers,
beyond short action versus long action.

I switched out a 22-250 Rem. barrel, on a Savage Model 16,
with a 6mm Rem. barrel, and it cycles reliably, and easily.

Squeeze

Savage only has three short action mag boxes and followers. 223 and similar, 308 and similar and WSM's. If your gun had came from the factory as a 243, it would have exactly the same box and follower that it has now.

I switched out a new Remington 22-250 VSF to a 243 and have never been happier. The 243 is superior in every way IMO, ESPECIALLY for super long range.

Get a good cut rifled blank in 7 1/2 or 8 twist and run the heavy match bullets and you'll have a true long range gun that hits harder and bucks wind better than any 22-250.

Back