Faster twist 204 Ruger

rkite

Does anyone make a 204 Ruger in 11 or faster twist? Seems most of the over the counter rounds are 32 or 40 grain V-Max. I've heard enough stories about 40 grain bullets not stabilizing in a 12 twist barrel.

Originally Posted By: rkite Does anyone make a 204 Ruger in 11 or faster twist? Seems most of the over the counter rounds are 32 or 40 grain V-Max. I've heard enough stories about 40 grain bullets not stabilizing in a 12 twist barrel.

Barrels can be had in a ten twist but I don't know of anyone selling an OTC rifle with one. I wll admit I haven't looked in a year or two.

Grrg

With alllllllllllll the different bullets available and even factory loaded ammo with heavier bullets, I'll never understand why they don't sell these things with at least a 1-10tw barrel on them. Makes about as much sense as a 22-250 or 220 Swift with a 1-14tw barrel on it from the factory, BUT, I bet the aftermarket barrel companies hope they keep selling factory rifles with these slowwwwww twist barrels as I'm sure it helps their business.
rolleyes.gif

All four custom .20 barrels I have, are 12 twists. I've never wished they were faster twist? They all shoot 39's and 40's very well too though.

- DAA

Howa Mini 204 Ruger. 20" barrel has 1/9 twist. Kryptek stock. It shoots everything I reload from 32 gr. to 40 gr. V-Max. It is light and I use it for predator hunting. Got it when Howa first came out with it. Rudy

Its the 40 grain V-Max that seems to be on the edge. From what I have read the Sierra 39 and Berger 40 grain bullets do not have the issue. No one I've seen locally carries anything other than 32 and 40 V-Max.

It just seems the manufacturers would make a faster twist available. Even an 11 twist would be enough to lure me into a purchase.

Anyone here work for CZ?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: rkiteIts the 40 grain V-Max that seems to be on the edge. From what I have read the Sierra 39 and Berger 40 grain bullets do not have the issue. No one I've seen locally carries anything other than 32 and 40 V-Max.

It just seems the manufacturers would make a faster twist available. Even an 11 twist would be enough to lure me into a purchase.

My 1/12" twist Savage M12 shot the 39 grain and 40 grain bullets well. But it shot the 32 and 34 grain bullets very well. When it came time for a new tube I installed a Criterion with a 1/11" twist and now it shoots them all with great accuracy. Just yesterday shot two consecutive 1/4" groups with mine with two different loads. Now if dang rain would go away for a while so that I can wear out a few sage rats I would not be sitting here typing this!

Rustydust, Your experience is similar to what I have read from numerous shooters on the net.

I want something that I can shoot at the range for fun without being beat up and also be able to pop coyotes at long range at my brothers place. Since I primary hunt deer and bear this rifle will be more for recreation.

Large caliber hunting rifles without recoil pads are no fun at the range.

Well for sure, no .204 is going to beat you up. I even put a muzzle brake on mine just so it dont wiggle at all and I can see those hapless little rodents fly though the air!

And not even recoil pads help on everything. My .458 Win Mag could not be shoot off a bench without using a big fat sissy pad. I no longer own it.

I'm a recoil wimp. Two 308s, one 270 and a 30-30 to sight in every year. I get a small shoulder bruise afterwards. The combo gun I have is a monster with 3" OO buck. This past season the 30-30 brought home a 8 point buck.

Living very close to DC I occasionally take friends shooting that are interested. A few rounds from one of my deer rifles is usually all it takes to end the day. A 204 would make it much easier to educate the firearm illiterate.

It is said that the reason the 12" twist was used is the "Magic" 4000 FPS with the 32 grain bullet needed for accuracy.
I have owned two 204 in Remington XR-100 the 1st rifle (STOLEN) would shoot both the 39 & 40 3/8" the groups were sooooo close that the Naked eye could not tell the difference.
The one I currently own shoots the 39 Sierra's as good as the 1st rifle the 40 V-Max's are closer to 3/4"

Jim

Makes sense Jim.

I wish more rounds were available with mid weight bullets. Seems everything is 32 or 40 grain. A 37 grain V-Max would be interesting and probably work well with a 12 twist. Its probably just in my head but 32 grains sounds a bit light for banging coyotes at long range.

Rodney

Originally Posted By: rkite Makes sense Jim.

I wish more rounds were available with mid weight bullets. Seems everything is 32 or 40 grain. A 37 grain V-Max would be interesting and probably work well with a 12 twist. Its probably just in my head but 32 grains sounds a bit light for banging coyotes at long range.

Rodney

Some 32's work rather well for Coyotes, such as the Nosler BT in 32 grain, but I agree that a 37gr. would work great. I still have some 37gr. CRT's bullets that are exceptional and I see that Blackhole Bullets makes a 37gr.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/204-ruger-36-grain-blitzking-b-c-255/

I assume this is Sierra's tweek on the 39 BK due to the 12 twist being on the edge. Has anyone seen any of this stuff in stock anywhere? My Pro Varmint has just a hair long 12 twist at 12 5/16 to 12 3/8 and doesn't do 40 VMAX factory ammo, but it shoots extremely well with Federal Premium 32 Nosler Ballistic Tips. I wouldn't mind trying some of this in it and my 700 if I could find it.

Last edited:
Back