Helmet mounting Pulsar HD19A

Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiWell there isn't much out there in regards to helmet mounting a Pulsar HD19A so I figured I'd make a formal thread. The first and only example i've seen was made by member bleas who fabricated a custom bracket to mount the unit perfectly horizontal to a Norotos milspec NVG mount.

Here's member bleas custom bracket design:

Initially I intended on also making a custom bracket however for left-eye viewing. I like the left eye so if I need to pull the shotgun my right eye isn't completely washed out. I suppose you could use Sledge's rig and swing the J-arm to the left side, bleas if you could report back on how that works out that would be great.

For my first weekend trying the helmet rig out I just used the factory tripod mount on the picatinny rail side of the HD19A, and it keeps the unit at a slight 45 which actually turned out to be satisfactory for scanning. At this point i'm going to keep using it the way it is, I don't feel the need for the bracket yet as nice as it would be for it to be horizontal. Very pleased overall, awesome to not have to hold the unit to your eye and scan with thermal at night.

Here's mine & how you can mount it without a custom bracket:

I also quickly discovered the need for a counterweight on the helmet. Until I get a legitimate one, i've used my shotgun shell softcase with velcro on the back attached to the helmet. Works great and is perfectly balanced.

Anyone else who has come up with helmet mounts for this unit please share.

Can we get an update on how this is working out?

Originally Posted By: pmackHere's mine.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...156#Post3031156

Added knobs, allows both vertical and horizontal adjustment. My son and I switch scanning every other set or so and it's worked out great.

Very nice! Looks to be very well thought out. You could probably sell those.

How'd your neck feel? Only reason I stopped using mine is my neck would be blown out for days after a night of calling.

Originally Posted By: LARUEminati

How'd your neck feel? Only reason I stopped using mine is my neck would be blown out for days after a night of calling.

Haven't had any issues with my neck. I have 2 pouches on back of helmet for counter weight. One carries battery pack for the Pulsar the other pouch carries extra AAs for the photon.

Only issue is my fore head hurts once in a while, doesn't bother my son at all, I think cheap helmet and my fat head is the problem.

Last night I was able to mount my HD19A using just a j-arm and my Wilcox G11 mount. Using the inspiration from this thread and this pic, I just held the HD19A up where it was comfortable, then marked that spot on the j-arm and drilled a hole. Then I took the j-arm screw apart and reinserted it through my new hole. I just went into the 1/4x20 thread on the HD19A, instead of using a scope ring on the HD19A's weaver mount.

I am using this with a Crye Precision Nightcap. It worked pretty well around the house, except for the j-arm being a little loose in the G11. I will have to field test it to be sure it's ready for prime time.

Here's the pic I followed as a rough guide:

NCM_0117_zps98vjhne9.jpg

Thread: http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3031156

Last edited:
Looks good, the j-arm works OK for the right eye but not so well for the left. That's why ditched it, plus I worried it came apart at the slightest touch of the release.

Originally Posted By: pmackLooks good, the j-arm works OK for the right eye but not so well for the left.

10-4 and I agree.

I'm concerned about the cost of head mou tong the hd19a and not know if I'll like it... I'm considering the Crye night cap but taking the $100 for a cap or helmet out of the eqaution... It appears I'll have to drop 200 -300 for a j arm and mount? Does anyone have any other ideas or recomendations on brand that are easier on the wallet?

Originally Posted By: johncraddock445I'm concerned about the cost of head mou tong the hd19a and not know if I'll like it... I'm considering the Crye night cap but taking the $100 for a cap or helmet out of the eqaution... It appears I'll have to drop 200 -300 for a j arm and mount? Does anyone have any other ideas or recomendations on brand that are easier on the wallet?

I don't think you can get away with not dropping bug cash on the mount. Even my Wilcox G11 is middle-of-the-road and cost me $265. I bought a j-arm used for $20.

Back