22-243 shooters powder question and die bushings?

zr600

Ok in the next month or two I'll have my 22-243 barrel and I'm just curious to see what everybody is using for powder? I was thinking h4831sc, imr 7828ssc, rl17. Any help would be great.

Last edited:
I don't have 22-243 but in that size case I'd think RL26 would be a top performer so I'd definitely put that on my list of possible powders to use.

Originally Posted By: reddog964If your going to shoot heavys and want speed it's a no brainer RL17
^^^This^^^ if you are going to shoot heavies. Did quite a bit of
testing RL17 in several calibers. It shines in all of my heavy-for-
caliber bullet testing. Lighter-for-caliber bullets proved
disappointing, both in accuracy and speed.

Well my plan is to shoot the 75g amax on if it doesn't like that bullet I'll shoot the 77g sierra match king or some of the Berger bullets in the 75g weight. Also I have the 243 Redding type s bushing die I have a 251 bushing I'm using lapua brass now when necking down can I do it with just that one bushing or should I start with a bigger one first to help with brass or just go down with the 251 to start. I know I might need a little bigger or hair smaller once I get my bullet seated in the brass to get the proper tension.

Last edited:
I take mine down in one step with the redding bushing die and never a issue. I would have to look at the bushing Dia but i also turn the necks and only run Lapua brass so yours will/may be different.

Back