What's it going to take to impress me?

Originally Posted By: bryan hOriginally Posted By: RayDogI'm addicted myself. No reason to shoot unsuppressed

X3!!!

amen!

now that i've got a suppressor, i really do not enjoy shooting unsuppressed and i tend to favor shooting those guns i can suppress significantly more than the ones that arent threaded yet.

When I first got into using suppressors my dad, in his mid 70's at the time, thought the whole suppressor thing was a bunch of tv Rambo wannabe foolishness and, at first, was quick to tell me I wasted thousands of dollars on suppressors because he wasn't that impressed with their level of noise reduction. I think this was mostly due to the fact that when he was around any of my guns, that were being shot suppressed, there was nobody around us shooting unsuppressed and, in my opinion, because he was already a bit of a skeptic it was easy for him to just dismiss suppressor use as a fad. That was until we were shooting at a public range where nobody, except me, was shooting suppressed. I laughed my arse off because he was complaining to me how loud everyone's guns seemed to be and many of them were guys he shoots with regularly. On the drive home he kept asking me if I was using a new or different suppressor than the last time we were shooting together because he was convinced the gun I was shooting was MUCH quieter. To this day he's still convinced I was using a different can. lol

you can say a suppressor doesn't help kill more coyotes all you want. I just killed another quad., the second quad. for the year, this past Saturday. Early in the season I killed a six pack, on one stand. I've been calling coyotes for 25 years and had never killed a quad. until the first year I got my suppressor five years ago, and now I've killed at least one quad every year since.
True, some coyotes will still react as if a cannon went off, BUT I am 100% convinced that it helps put more fur in the truck, and my ears are happier too.

my primary calling rifle is a 17/204 that has a Lilja barrel cut down to 20.5" and I have the S.A.S Sentinal Ti .223 suppressor screwed on to the end.

I'm happy with it. Are there better choices, maybe. But until a guy can screw on several different ones and test each side by side, who's to say what's best.

Originally Posted By: songdogI'm happy with it. Are there better choices, maybe. But until a guy can screw on several different ones and test each side by side, who's to say what's best.

Even when you can do that, "what's best" is still a loose term.

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: songdogI'm happy with it. Are there better choices, maybe. But until a guy can screw on several different ones and test each side by side, who's to say what's best.

Even when you can do that, "what's best" is still a loose term.

You got that right.. When we first got our FFL we got alot of demo cans and was testing them side by side and couldnt tell a difference behind the shop. But went out to the farm where it is wide open and then went into the deep woods. There is a fair amount of difference between different makers of cans on their tone and how quiet they sound.

Its well worth it for me to haul around an extra 15 ounces on the end of my rifles when the farmers are happy and tell me to come hunt as much as i want and when i want, no questions asked. I send them kill pics and they ask when did we shoot cause they still havent heard a shot. They stay happy and let us do what we want so its a win-win situation for us.
Plus they fuel our trucks up and pay for our ammo so whats not to like?

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: bryan hOriginally Posted By: RayDogI'm addicted myself. No reason to shoot unsuppressed

X3!!!

amen!

now that i've got a suppressor, i really do not enjoy shooting unsuppressed and i tend to favor shooting those guns i can suppress significantly more than the ones that arent threaded yet.

All of this.^^^^

I target shoot at my place and want to keep good neighbors even though I'm 1/2 mile away from anyone. It also disturbs my family a lot less in the house or outside. This fall on a hunt I shot 5 times and got 3 coyotes that came in separately 1/4 mile from the rancher who was outside working on equipment. When we came walking back he thought we got skunked because he heard no shots. Stalked and shot one the same day, left my partner behind and he didn't hear the shot 1/4 mile away.
This was my first year hunting suppressed but it won't be the last for sure.

WHAT IS IT GOING TO TAKE TO IMPRESS ME?

Would a guy claiming to have shot at a coyote 27 times and then finally hit it on the 28th round impress you?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.....

You'll hate having a suppressor on your gun. After about the 5th round this horrible mirage starts developing through your glass and it becomes quite difficult to hit things that are running at oblique angles through tall grass. I guess you could put one of those fancy "heat mitigation" thingys over it but that would be like wearing a condom on your wedding night.

Don't even get me started on gas blowback, trying to wear eye protection when it's humid out and how burning oil feels on your face after sending a few downrange. Nothing will ruin a future stand like the smell of burnt oil and singed skin.

One thing people haven't commented about yet is the social ramifications of having a suppressor at a public range. Everybody wants to talk to you about it and it leaves very little time for tactical mag dumps....

Personally, I like letting other guy's girlfriends shoot my rifle at the public range. (sold a few rifles that way because that's what we do) Good thing every time we pull the trigger, it's a business expense and can be used as a tax write off, even if a little bit of lipstick ends up on my charging handle........

Well darn, I just talked myself into another suppressor trying to talk you out of one......

(Wow, I just invented the hottest new product for 2017)
Comming soon; The Predator Technology Group "Lipstick Mitigation System"

Originally Posted By: Arizona BushmanWHAT IS IT GOING TO TAKE TO IMPRESS ME?

Would a guy claiming to have shot at a coyote 27 times and then finally hit it on the 28th round impress you?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.....

You'll hate having a suppressor on your gun. After about the 5th round this horrible mirage starts developing through your glass and it becomes quite difficult to hit things that are running at oblique angles through tall grass. I guess you could put one of those fancy "heat mitigation" thingys over it but that would be like wearing a condom on your wedding night.

Don't even get me started on gas blowback, trying to wear eye protection when it's humid out and how burning oil feels on your face after sending a few downrange. Nothing will ruin a future stand like the smell of burnt oil and singed skin.

One thing people haven't commented about yet is the social ramifications of having a suppressor at a public range. Everybody wants to talk to you about it and it leaves very little time for tactical mag dumps....

Personally, I like letting other guy's girlfriends shoot my rifle at the public range. (sold a few rifles that way because that's what we do) Good thing every time we pull the trigger, it's a business expense and can be used as a tax write off, even if a little bit of lipstick ends up on my charging handle........

Well darn, I just talked myself into another suppressor trying to talk you out of one......

LOL Great post....

Back